Saint Jacques des Arrêts to La Clayette - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2023

Saint Jacques des Arrêts to La Clayette

As expected the rain started sometime in the night and was very heavy when we all woke up in the morning. Tobias was amazingly chill in the tent for an hour or so but when the rain didn't stop we decided to relocate to the big garage thing by the petanque courts. It was cold, but at least dry for us to eat our breakfast. Then we employed some Bluey time to help us get the tent packed up. It stopped raining as we got all the panniers out so we could at least take the tent down without getting wet.

Our destination today was dictated by where big supermarkets are so that we might be able to buy camping gas. So instead of heading more north we headed west to La Clayette. Since it was only a 30km ride and the forecast looked better for the afternoon we decided to have lunch at the restaurant by the campground. It was excellent. We haven't eaten out much this trip, but when we have it's generally been for lunch and really enjoyable.

We set off just after another big rainstorm passed through with Tobias in the trailer. The plan was to do the whole thing while he slept since the weather didn't really inspire hanging around. So we kind of put our heads down and rode at pace through the rolling farm land. We had one climb, but it was milder than yesterday's with just 200m to gain over 6km. Compared to the steep climbs in Eastern Europe these Bourgandy ones have been really manageable. We managed to dodge the rain showers pretty well and only got wet once.

We arrived in la Clayette about 10 minutes after Tobias woke up. The other advantage of heading here over some more remote places is that the place is big enough that we could cook inside while it rained and wash and dry our laundry. Tobias has an upset belly which he's been complaining about for a few days which is a bit sad for him. The only issue with the campground is that there is a music festival on at the castle at the other end of the lake. The lady was very worried we would be upset at the noise, but we just wanted somewhere to sleep and at least at the moment it's not too loud. 

The only disappointment at the moment is that we didn't find any gas canisters. The clip in ones are everywhere, but finding screw in ones is a real challenge. If I'd known how hard it would be to get gas I think I would have gotten an adapter but now it feels like a bit of a waste of time. We will head north tomorrow towards Paray-le-Monial which at least has an Intersport where we usually find one.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,632 km (1,634 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0