Rest day in Trebinje - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2023

Rest day in Trebinje

We had a day off today to recover from the hills, wait out some rain, and start to try and plan ahead for the rest of our trip. We started the day with a trip to the supermarket since our supplies were completely diminished. Luckily Tobias woke up at 5:45, giving him and I plenty of time to take his bike down and get some things while James slept in. There was a toy section so I just left him there gawking at the toy lawn mower while I walked around the store. I don't want to jinx it, but I don't think he's yet realized that toys can leave the shop if you pay for them. He likes to look at them then say bye bye, long may that last.

After breakfast we took a trip back to the park and played on every single slide. There was a market in town so we picked up some veggies and eggs, then went back to the same bakery as yesterday for pastries for lunch. Tobias actually asked to go to bed about an hour before he normally does. I guess he was feeling tired too.

While he slept we started looking at our route ahead. We are having a big break in Mostar, then we will transfer by van to the national park Una in the west of Bosnia and Herzegovina. We have heard from a Warm Showers host that taking bikes on the new trains hasn't been very successful and we weren't keen to ride the busy road to Sarajevo, and then the road West from there seems pretty busy too. I originally planned a nice route going west from Mostar, but the climbing and the distances between towns was going to make our days too long to do enjoyably with Tobias. From there we have almost 2 weeks to make our way to Ljubljana to meet with friends and have almost a week off the bike.

From Ljubljana is where we had almost no plan, so we needed to work something out. We love Slovenia and have visited 7 times since we've been living in Europe, but never by bike, so we want to spend some time in the country. But we have a time constraint in that we need to be in the French Alps near Chamonix by the 14th of July where we are meeting more friends to watch the Tour de France.  Our first thought was we could just take transport to get across Italy then ride/take the TER trains up from Marseille to Lyon then up to the alps, but crossing Italy seems far from simple. Its complicated to work out what trains take bikes and hiring a big enough car one way will cost us almost a thousand euro. We could consider rerouting, but we can't work out how to get there fast enough at our snail pace. Suggestions are welcome!

It rained in the afternoon, so besides a few soggy trips to a few different supermarkets to find what we need for the next few days, we just stuck around home. Tobias entertained himself taking a bath outside with his toy cars while I tried to fix the elastic on my front panniers with hairbands. Going to try and get an earlier night tonight since we have a biggish day to Ravno on the Ciro trail planned.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
No idea what this is, but it's filled with ham and cheese and is delicious
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the area where we are staying hardly anyone has any lawn around their house, just veggie gardens with lots of potatoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0