Plitvice to Slunj - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2023

Plitvice to Slunj

The forecast for today was never looking good and unfortunately just got worse as we got closer to Sunday. Thankfully we'd decided to break the next 2 days into 3 shorter ones and cut out the plans to camp in the wild so we only had 25km to ride up the road to Slunj.

We set off at 10:30 which was perhaps a bit late because Tobias promptly fell asleep in the trailer. Without small children one might wonder why this is a problem, but we were really counting on our 2hr kid free time once we got to our accommodation! It did mean that we completed the entire ride in just over an hour. We stopped twice. Once so I could put my glasses on. I didn't start the day with them because I figured the rain would make it hard to see, but the spray from the trailer was even more blinding and also gross road water. So I opted for poor vision but with less bacteria and sand. The second stop was to confirm that Tobias was indeed asleep and not dead.

I can't really say much about the ride except that it went up and down. I had an interesting route planned with detours off the main road, including one that was (probably) hard packed gravel and pretty scenic, but given the weather we opted to get there as fast as possible. I guess because it's a Sunday there were far less trucks than the other day and the car traffic all gave us a really wide berth.

Our hosts lit the wood fire burner for us so the house was super cosy when we arrived in time for lunch. Unfortunately the rain didn't let up all afternoon, but we couldn't just sit inside with our energetic child, so we walked down the hill to the old mill turned museum. Apparently the river is about a meter higher than usual and it was pretty wild. Most of the museum was outdoors and it would have been lovely on a nice day. There was one small indoor section where we could release Tobias on his balance bike to do laps of the displays. 

The house has a full drying room and radiators, so the first load of laundry and yesterday's nappies are already dry. Reusable nappies are definitely not so great when we can't hang them behind the trailer in the sun. If we can wash them in a machine it's okay, because the spin cycle gets them 90% dry. But if I'm doing them by hand then it takes a sunny day on the trailer or 2 nights under a heat pump to be usable.

According to the Buienradar we have no rain forecast for tomorrow and we are more than ready for a regular day on the bike!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
James only has one pair of shorts/pants that he rides in and wears around, but these were drenched so he's wearing long johns under his togs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One day I will buy waterproof front panniers. I've never bothered because I inherited these ones from my ex-boyfriend about 15 years ago and they (mostly) do the job. But drying out our kitchen every day is getting old.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 845 km (525 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0