Kranjska Gora - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2023

Kranjska Gora

Just as I posted the journal last night and said how much we liked our camp ground the lights suddenly turned on and it turns out we had parked our tent directly under a spotlight. It was almost comical and felt brighter than daylight. We thought about morning and midday shade, but not about man made light. There wasn't much we could do with Tobias asleep in the tent, but this morning we moved it one spot over to get out of the glare.

This campground has some kind of adventure course in the trees and if Tobias had it his way he'd spend the whole day up there. It was amazing to see how much his confidence grew just over a few hours, though the speed he wanted to walk across some parts, without holding my hand, probably raised my heart rate more than riding yesterday.

We dragged him away mid morning to bike up the road into Kranjska Gora for a coffee and to pick up some supplies. Our gas from Tirana was finally empty and luckily not so difficult to replace. The town was cute and full of cyclists. Just about everyone there seemed to be on a bike.

We did some route planning and preparation while Tobias slept. We have 3 reasonably big days coming up. Tomorrow we will bike up the biggest hill we've attempted so far, and then quite a long way further down the valley on the other side. We made plans to meet our friend there on his lightweight bike tour so we booked an apartment, but then the weather put him off and he changed his plans. There is no refund on the apartment and it has a washing machine so we don't want to waste it. Hopefully since we don't need to set up camp we should be okay to arrive a bit later. Then we have 2 days to reach Renče where we are meeting a good friend who is flying over from London for 3 nights to celebrate Tobias' birthday.

We only managed to convince Tobias to leave the playground because we promised to go there rocks in the water. Unfortunately on the way he took his biggest tumble of the bike yet going down a bridge and grazed his arm. I'm glad he was wearing his helmet because he flipped over and hit his head. Since he's started riding his bike his legs have become covered in bruises. Mostly he gets up fine, but this one definitely needed a cuddle.

Just on dinner time it started pouring down so we cooked dinner under a shelter (I think a restaurant in the high season) with the other cycle tourists. There were the Belgian couple and their son Simon, and a Dutch couple. Tobias decided he quite liked Simon and followed him around the campground and they ended up playing a game if rock throwing together. All of us are heading up the pass tomorrow although the dutchies have (probably wisely) arranged a taxi van. 

Our tent in the spotlight last night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laundry cost €9 per load here, but they also had great handwashing facilities so we used that.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 1,197 km (743 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0