Ellemeet to Hellevoetsluis - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2023

Ellemeet to Hellevoetsluis

It rained most of the evening, but in the morning it was clear and without any rain forecast for the day. It was a bit more difficult than usual to pack up since the ground and everything was wet so you couldn't out anything down. Add the tiny tornado that picks stuff up and put it elsewhere ("packing") and it takes a while. We enjoyed the company of the other two cycle tourists who were staying. Friends travelling together who knew exactly how their rhythm worked. It was nice to meet other people who don't feel like you need to get away at 7am. 

The wind turned overnight and came from the coast. It was mostly a side wind, but definitely more in front than behind. We didn't go too far before we stopped at a beach bar for apple cake and a coffee and so Tobias could play in the playground. He is really into climbing at the moment and getting much stronger at it. We carried on along the coast a bit longer before a late lunch. Tobias took a big crash and hit his head pretty hard on the picnic table but he seemed to come out okay from it. 

In the afternoon we rode through the dunes before crossing the last storm water surge barrier to the main part of the Netherlands. It was really exposed and quite windy. The last part to our friends house near Hellevoetsluis was through farmland. I taught Tobias "old MacDonald has a farm" last week and he fills in the names of whatever is on the farm. He thinks it's hilarious.

We are staying with Patrice and Herman, the parents of our good friend Gidi. He's the first Dutch friend we made, by staying in his house when he rented it on Airbnb and then moving in next door. We've met Patrice and Herman a few times and they've always invited us to stay so it's nice to be able to take them up on it. They made us pizza for dinner in their own pizza oven, and then after Tobias was in bed we could sit outside and talk around the fire. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 3,206 km (1,991 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0