Boršt pri Dvoru to Pristava nad Stično - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2023

Boršt pri Dvoru to Pristava nad Stično

We had a brilliant sleep in Suzana and Renato's wee hut and were treated to clear blue skies when we woke up. It was hard to believe that only yesterday we woke up to cold, grey, drizzle. Staying with other adults is amazing. Tobias seems to thrive off some new company and we enjoy having different conversations. Renato entertained Tobias while making us pancakes and then we had an easy time with packing because we had 4 sets of eyes to watch him rather than just 2. I'm always surprised when people have so much patience to play with him, then I remember that we used to do that with friends kids because it's more fun when you only have to do it for a few hours rather than the foreseeable future. The only accident was when he rode his bike halfway off the terrace because he thought the herb garden was level with the ground, rather than half a meter below.

We had such a great time that we didn't set off until around 11. After the positive effect that the hills had on our general mood we decided to go for our more ambitious roundabout way into Ljubljana. It involved a nice 5km descent through the forest then a lumpy 25km heading north. Nothing in this region seems to be very flat at all. You could see it from Suzana and Renato's place. The country is just very lumpy. So even if something looks flat on the map it's actually just very short sharp climbs and descents. The weather was beautiful though and it was so nice being able to stop wherever and whenever we were ready, rather than having to find somewhere warm and dry.

We found a bus shelter at the top of yet another short climb for lunch. Luckily we had bought extra on Saturday because we didn't see anywhere that looked remotely like serving food until about 2pm after we'd crossed the highway. At about 5km to go we started our final climb of the day, gaining about 350m by the time we reached a small camping space on a tourist farm up in the hills. It's a bit demoralising when you check and see you have about 4km to go and know it's going to be about an hour of slogging up the hill. It was steep, it was hard, there were definitely points where I questioned why we didn't just camp somewhere in the forest. But we were rewarded with epic views of the snowy mountains and a really nice spot to camp. I think they expect more campers than cycle tourists, but they had 4 pitches with water and enough grass to be comfortable. 

After getting the tent set up we headed over to the restaurant that seemed to be closing but still served us a beer and fries. It rained a little, but by the time we were back at the tent and cooking dinner the sun was out again.

Tobias adopted this bucket as his helmet and wore it all morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Despite the sunshine there are still signs of the recent heavy rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,052 km (653 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0