Bonneville to Arâches-la-Frasse - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2023

Bonneville to Arâches-la-Frasse

It was much cooler this morning than it has been recently - we are getting further into the mountains! On our way out to town we passed the main square full of fire engines, so even though we'd been riding only 5 minutes we stopped to check them out. We eventually realised that it was Bastille day, which probably explains the fireworks we could hear but not see last night. We left before the marching band started.

It was a flat ride on a mostly separate cycle path to Thyez with just a stop at a supermarket before we met Dirk, Damay, and Bram at the park for lunch. We swapped all our stuff into their car and took Dirk with us on his road bike for the final climb. Without luggage we were significantly faster and the climb was quite enjoyable, except for the damn komoot moment where we had to push up steep gravel to take a shortcut off the main road. The view down the valley just kept opening up to us as we got higher. 

We managed the climb in about an hour. Tobias was still asleep once we descended steeply to our house. If we hadnt been able to get rid of our stuff it would have been at least 3 hours to cover the 10km with stops for Tobias. 

Now we're here with a bunch of our friends with more arriving later tonight and tomorrow. Since we're on holiday from our bike adventure I'm going to take a holiday from journal writing until we get going again next week.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The park where we stopped for lunch was really hard to get into. There were only 2 gates possible for bike trailers according to the signs so we had to go around the whole place to find one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home for the next 10 days.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,386 km (1,482 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0