Aalst to Poeke - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2023

Aalst to Poeke

It was a bit more of a mission packing up after 5 days camping compared to just one night, but thankfully we are pretty aware of everything we have and where it needs to go so I don't think we left anything behind. We managed to get a load of washing done before we left. We are so grateful to Grace's parents for hosting us for so long. Obviously there is a bit of stress to hosting your daughter's wedding on your farm, so having strangers camping out back is maybe not exactly what you want. But we felt so welcome and at home there and were very thankful.

Lander's parents showed up as we were almost packed so we could farewell them again and offer condolences since Lander's grandad passed away in the evening on the day after his wedding. Geertrui showed up with Robbe and Tobias who had a box of their old toys for our Tobias and handwritten notes as a farewell for us. One of the tractors they gave to Tobias is the same one Grace and her sisters played with as a child. Add a few friends of Grace and Lander and we had a big send off from the farm. As we were going Robbe told his mother that when he turned 12 he was going to buy a tent and go on a bike camping trip too. Grace, Lander and the boys rode with us a short way and then waved us off on our way towards Poeke.

The route itself was quite familiar since we've spent a fair bit of time cycling round here on trips to visit Lander and watch the classics races. There are some very nice cycle ways and for the first time since we left the Netherlands the bikes often get the priority at the intersections. Then there are some painted lines on very big roads that dont feel safe at all. In between you have small roads through the countryside that don't have much traffic and offer the best views. Its a bit of patchwork to join them all up. Of course we still managed to include one pretty gentle cobble stone climb. We are in Flanders after all.

With only the trailer and our tool bags we were flying and we made it to Wetteren for lunch and then all the way to Deinze while Tobias napped. We stopped for a long playground break there since we couldn't check in until after 5. We came across some roadworks just out of town but since we can finally speak the language again we could just ask for directions and took a boardwalk walking path to get around. We made it here just as it turned 5pm.

Het eykenhuis is under new management since we stayed 6 years ago, but it is still beautiful. Then we showed up after dark in the wind and rain and snow and the owners ordered us into the shower before considering sorting out the paperwork. The weather was significantly better today and we got to enjoy the view from the shared terrace while we waited for Grace and Lander to show up with our stuff. 

Once they arrived we quickly changed and headed in to Aalter for dinner. Our host suggested a place with a playground in the middle and it was perfect. Tobias played for the entire time and even though the meals took a while to come and we didn't make it home until after 9pm he was more than happy. It was great to be able to properly talk with Grace and Lander since our next meeting night not be for quite a few years now. 

Tomorrow we will head almost the whole way to the west of Belgium to Brugge and then turn north and reach the Netherlands again.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 3,020 km (1,875 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0