In Delft - France and the Low Countries - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2022

In Delft

Walking tour of the city

After yesterday's travels we are ready for a chill day, and Delft is a lovely city to kick back in. The walking is easy to the historic sites, cafes and shopping.

Barry has a bit of a cranky knee from a bike crash three weeks ago that is healing slowly. It's probably aggravated by all the walking. Fortunately biking is not a problem. We stop in a medical pharmacy in Delft where a physiotherapist examines the knee and fits him with a brace for support. It seems to be helping. The whole process is easy, quick and cost just $70. What a country. 

Tomorrow we'll ride and then navigate two trains. Hopefully we'll get off at all the right stops this time.

Nieuwe Kerk (New Church), built in the 14th century, where the royal family are buried. You can hike 370 steps up the tower for the view. Worth it.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The tour of the Royal Delft museum and factory is a fascinating look at how they make the classic Delft blue earthenware, including the royal dishes for Mary Stuart, Queen of England.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Oude Kerk (Old Church) is the burial place of William of Orange and other noblemen and women. Portraits of historic Dutch battles hang on the walls. I did not get a strong sense of Christ amidst all the hero worship.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Best meal of the trip so far was Dutch food at Spijshuis de Dis near the market.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Giant lamp by our hotel. Delft is beautiful at night, a fun city to walk around.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0