Giverny by train - France and the Low Countries - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2022

Giverny by train

Day trip to Monet's sanctuary

One of the most influential Impressionist painters, Claude Monet was inspired by the landscape he developed around his home in Giverny, west of Paris in the Normandy region.

Giverny is four hours by bike or one hour by the train we took from the St Lazare Station. We'll get back on the bikes tomorrow and spend this day wandering the place where Monet lived and painted for 40 years.

Monet was a devoted gardener. We walked around the colorful gardens and lily ponds he created and over the Japanese bridge. There was intermittent rain and moments where the sun broke through, giving us a taste of how the changing light affected the atmosphere where he worked. It's wonderful.

The Musee D'Orsay and the Orangerie are the places to go in Paris to see his paintings, but it's a treat to be surrounded by the vibrant colors of the gardens where he worked.

Fall is a lovely time in Monet's garden
Heart 3 Comment 0
Water lilies in the wild. Hope we get to see Monet's water lilies in the Orangerie.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our friends Terry and Mary Fran have been here before and wanted to share the experience. Thanks for bringing us!
Heart 3 Comment 0
After walking the gardens we toured Monet's home
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful blue tile work in my fantasy kitchen
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis would be Dodie's dream kitchen also.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Les Nympheas is an ideal lunch spot nearby offering traditional Norman food.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0