Tarryn Stokes fever hits Harvey - Two Good Blokes tackle the Munda Biddi Trail - CycleBlaze

March 23, 2024

Tarryn Stokes fever hits Harvey

Harvey rest day

Harvey is a dairy and agricultural town with a population of 2750. They clearly don’t have a water issue as every second house’s lawn sprinkler is on happily watering not only their grass but the sidewalk and the road. We are on the outskirts of this spread out town so we jump on our        treadlies to find a cafe for breakfast. That proves not so easy. The only remaining cafe on Uduc St seems to be shut so we head to the bakery for a coffee, but they don’t do breakfast. They direct us out of town to Stirling Cottage, set in a vast rose garden by the Harvey River. They cook up a mean breakfast and happily donate $10 to the cause.

Harvey Beef looks an authentic olde worlde butcher shop so we call in and buy a juicy looking steak for a barbecue tonight before heading out on the town. The customer before us had his 3 and 5 year old sons with him. The elder one was picking out his first pocket knife as his birthday present from the impressive (but scary) range of hunting knives on display. Big Kev (the butcher) then gave the kids what I thought were lolly  bags but in fact were filled with beef jerky. We are definitely not in Manuka!

Don’t mess with Big Kev!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We opt for a barbecue because the only 2 eating establishments in Harvey are shut for dinner because they all want to go to the concert. After shopping for the next few days we lingered at the cricket where the aging Harvey Benger cricket club were taking on a positively geriatric Donnybrook cricket club. It’s not a high quality affair but there’s no doubting each teams commitment and enthusiasm. I cannot imagine how they play in the height of summer. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent a lazy afternoon with a few beers on the verandah readying ourselves for a big night tonight. As usual I’ve left my outfit selection to the last minute. I’ll probably settle on my only pair of trousers, my only collared shirt and my only pair of shoes. I was thinking of going half sock half shoe but it still doesn’t sound comfortable.

Harvey doesn’t cater for pedestrians over 6 foot tall
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cheers to a great first week
Heart 7 Comment 4
Greg RobertsFinally, beer!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Amy RobertsBut how was the CONCERT!? Surely she’d heard of The J Waygood Band? Perhaps she covered some of our material??
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Dennis LangleyTo Amy RobertsSurprisingly she hadn’t but she didn’t know who Taylor Swift was either.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 289 km (179 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rosie WindsorHow was Taryn? I’ll have to youtube her…
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Glenys RoperLoving your stories and pics Dennis. It looks like a lotta hard work but you're doing great. Ride safe
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Dennis LangleyThanks Glenys. It’s hard but lots of fun!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago