Fresh legs, bigger trees - Two Good Blokes tackle the Munda Biddi Trail - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2024

Fresh legs, bigger trees

Pemberton to Northcliffe

I’d like to welcome the newest reader of our blog. Alice Eva Langley, my 2nd grandchild ,born 28/04/2024. She’s only just getting the hang of reading but the accelerator class in the gifted and talented section of the Queanbeyan maternity wing is truly world class so she’s catching on fast.

Alice is gorgeous as is her mum Jess.
Heart 9 Comment 4
Mike AylingShe has also invented time travel!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretMust be nice to “see into the future”..;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve WhanWonderful! Congratulations and yes it is hard to keep track of the months on a big ride ....
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Dennis LangleyTo Mike AylingCorrect! It was 28/03/2024
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
In an unfortunate piece of timing, doting grandfather Nagy ducked out to the toilet as this snap was taken.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Another bluebird day greets us as we roll down a small hill to a cafe for our last proper coffee for at least 3 days. There’s a bit of shopping to do and we’re also not forgetting lunch this time. Pete heads to the bakery for 2 sandwiches to take away. The sandwich guy seems a bit confused and goes to wrap the pre-prepared toasties that have butter on the outside. After Pete objects he goes in to make proper sandwiches and wraps them in gladwrap so they don’t leak through our bags.

It’s another day in the forest with a mix of the three dominant species here, Jarrah, Karri and Warri. There’s some massive specimens, including the Gloucester Tree which you can normally climb but is closed for some arboreal holiday.

Heart 8 Comment 1
Greg RobertsDennis, thats a whopper!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Todays riding is a mix of switchback single track, forest trails and pea gravel roads. That basically sounds like a repeat of the last weeks riding. I think we saw 2 cars all day. There were plenty of long slow climbs and frustratingly slow descents on loose pea gravel but mostly in shade and always amongst towering eucalypts. Lunch is under some massive gums with sandwiches buttered both on the outside and inside. Surely it’s not that hard is it?

Before I bore the pants off you with more tree photos here’s my top 5 things I’ve learnt after years of bike touring that I wouldn’t leave without.

5-My Brooks English leather seat. Contrary to what you might think, you need a a firm seat that is moulded to the shape of your butt. After 6 months of agony breaking it in you’re rewarded with a comfortable ride and no ass blisters which, believe me, are the worst kind. I don’t care how much your partner loves you they won’t go near those weeping suckers to dress them.  

Heart 2 Comment 1
Greg RobertsTHis is the most improbable post yet. You reckon a bit of hardened cow hide abused into a shape similar to your buute, is comfortable. I want to see the evidence. No need for champagne before hand.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

4-My most recent addition, courtesy of Pete’s research is a rechargeable electric pump. It weighs nothing and works like a gem. No ferocious pumping, sweating like a pig and swearing at the puncture gods. Just sit back, roll a galloise and let modern science do all the hard work. Well that’s the theory. We haven’t had a flat yet!

Heart 3 Comment 1
Greg Roberts.... because you are using Pirelli's. Highly recommended tyres.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

3-My Helinox foldable chair. Weighing in at 275 grams and able to support up to 120kg it is so much better than sitting on a log, in the gutter or trying to balance on a cactus.

Comfortable
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not comfortable
Heart 0 Comment 0

2- My Nemo blow up mattress. It is by far the most comfortable mat I’ve had. It rolls up into a tiny bundle and uses an attachable bladder that you blow up with 2 puffs of air and then compress forcing the air into the mattress. Do this 3 times and Bobs your uncle or in my case Guri which is the Hungarian equivalent.

Pete pretending he’s an assistant on ‘The Price is Right’
Heart 3 Comment 1
Greg RobertsPete looks rooted...... just sayin.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

1- My cycling buddies. Long trips are much more fun with your mates. But you have to be really selective because you’re in each others pockets all day when you cycle tour. As my mate Ray told me early on; when it’s good it’s great but when it turns to shit it is diabolically shit. You need people who can roll with the punches.

Franklin and John
Heart 2 Comment 1
Greg Robertsan Englishman, a German and a Hungarian
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Pete, Steve and Chris
Heart 3 Comment 0
My great mate Ray who introduced me to this crazy caper of cycle touring
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rosie WindsorThey are v v lucky to have (had) you Den
Reply to this comment
1 month ago


We make Northcliffe by mid afternoon. Its a sleepy little town with a pub, a general store and a brilliant farmer’s cooperative. We stock up on fresh supplies for the next  2 days and cook a feast of local lamb sausages cherry tomatoes and chillies with local subago potatoes making a perfect mash accompaniment. 

We do all this in a weird little air BNB behind the Naughty Noodle Bar. It’s run by a quirky lady who’s away at the moment so no noodles tonight. We pick up the keys at the tourist information office and have the run of her house without anyone asking for any ID or our names or anything. We just have to leave $100 in the kitchen when we leave. When I spoke to her on the phone she said the house was a mess and she wasn’t wrong.  But the instructions pinned to the wall made for a good read. I suspect she’s a nice person.

Heart 3 Comment 3
Cherie LangleyI think you’re right ~ she sounds like a very good person 😊
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rosie WindsorI can relate to this!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Dennis LangleyTo Rosie WindsorYou should write your own version for your BnB
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Whanloving the trees!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Dennis LangleyThere are lots and lots of trees!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 768 km (477 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0