Albany in our sights - Two Good Blokes tackle the Munda Biddi Trail - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2024

Albany in our sights

Denmark to Albany

Heart 1 Comment 1
Rosie WindsorThank you for the maps Dennis! I am so impressed with this ride and all its challenges!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
We gave our clothes one last wash in Denmark but it proved too much a task for the machine
Heart 1 Comment 3
Karen PoretOnly “temporarily” :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Dennis LangleyTo Karen PoretWe laughed at that!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago



After 27 days on the road it has come down to this; our last day of pedalling to complete the Munda Biddi trail. Todays ride was the longest of the whole trip as we were combining 2 stages to give us a rest day in Albany and a chance to look around before driving back to Perth. Once again our efforts to get away early were stymied by the good coffee in Denmark and the ‘Franklin’ effect.  It was a post 9am grande departe.

Young Matisse is doing his first bike tour next week with his parents Jenni and Yoann.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We followed the Heritage rail trail along the Wilson Inlet and then some good quality, corrugation free pea gravel roads to Youngs Siding for the promise of another cappuccino. Youngs Siding made big news in 1989 with the claim of being the smallest town in the world with a symphony orchestra. Belinda Leonard, general store owner and conductor led the 13 piece orchestra which looks to be the entire population of this place.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretAbsolutely wonderful photo!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Leaving Denmark
Heart 3 Comment 1

Again it wasn’t to be as the cafe was shut so the general store was it. No barista made offerings here. My request for a herbal tea was treated with a blank stare and a blunt response of “we just do tea and you’re lucky to get that”.

Heart 0 Comment 0

With flat roads and more bitumen than we’ve seen for weeks our average speed was at an all time high even accounting for the blustery headwind that persisted all day.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

With slim offerings for lunch at the general store it was simply local cheese and crackers under the Melaleuca trees that predominate the single track we had deviated onto. With 45 kilometres under our belt already we were feeling good but the big hill of the day was still in front of us. 
The climb up was single track heading up to a large bank of wind towers and compelling views of the ocean. The path wound around all 18 of the towers before dropping down towards Albany.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Dennis LangleyTo Karen PoretThat was the last big push
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 4 Comment 0

With major roadworks disrupting the trail we were on the verge of a busy highway before taking a cycle path into the centre of town and the official end of the Munda Biddi. 

It was a long day in the saddle, and at 91 kilometres our biggest day but by no means the hardest as the roads and path were so good compared to a few days ago.
I suggested a celebratory beer at the Albany Hotel directly across the road from the Southern terminus but the forever sensible Pete suggested we find our BnB as it was almost dark. I checked the address which was in the suburb of Mt Neville which sounded like a final climb. It was all uphill for 1 more kilometre before finding our place at the very end of the street. We were pushing and cursing by the end.

22% grade for our last 100 metres
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretAt least your pannier reflectors are “on”..;)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Dennis LangleyIt was getting dark
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

I’ve rarely enjoyed a hot shower as I did tonight. I’m not a shower lingerer but I was in there for a good 10 minutes scrubbing. Even then my crispy white towel  had the tell tale signs of pea gravel dust. I might never rid myself entirely of it.

Cycling jersey for sale. In as new condition and only worn on one trip. Back pockets hold enough pea gravel to resurface the average driveway. Cost $650. Will accept $575 ono
Heart 4 Comment 0

I’ll do 1 more post tomorrow once I’ve collected my thoughts and had a good sleep!

I think it’s time I had a shave. My son thinks I’m channeling Super Mario vibes
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretBravo from the “other” BC gal in Santa Cruz, CA :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Dennis LangleyThanks for following Karen!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

Heart 1 Comment 0


Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 1,161 km (721 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0