Day 61 - Kelso, Washington to Portland, Oregon - Bike Tour 2022 - St Louis to Oregon - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2022

Day 61 - Kelso, Washington to Portland, Oregon

Our hotel was enormous. Its long hallways reminded me of The Shining.

The hotel cannot find enough staff to operate properly. Breakfast was a disappointment. At this stage, however, a couple of bowls of Raisin Bran and some coffee gets the job done.

After a tour of industrial Longview we rode back across the Lewis and Clark Bridge to US 30 in Oregon. The bridge is downright scary. It’s noisy and shaky and has shoulders filled with debris.

We were glad to be off of it except for the fact that US 30 to Portland is nearly as nasty. The shoulders were adequate and the debris was less but the trucks made for a deafening bike ride.

We rode. All business. Get her done. No need for excess hemoglobin because there were no hills to speak of.

After about 50 miles we left the highway to ride the street grid to Union Station. Corey went inside to check out the bicycle-on-train situation. He could have put his bike in the baggage car unboxed but decided to box it for protection anyway. Amtrak will provide the box and tape. He also learned that for a reasonable price he gets to head home tomorrow, a day earlier than planned.

After scoring an Amtrak win we decided to check into the NW Portland Hostel where I stayed in 2018. It’s located a few minutes from the train station, the bike shop I’m going to use to ship my bike home, and lots of hip places for bike tourist celebrities like us.

Note also that we have N95 masks for the event that we have to share our room with a Covid vector.

Tomorrow we’ll prep for our respective journeys home.

I
Finally!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I
At the hostel: Postcards. And Stamps. Very retro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I
My bike shoes died a hero. Made it all the way thanks to Gorilla Glue and duct tape
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 3,456 miles (5,562 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0