On the road again: Garmisch Partenkirchen to Innsbruck - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2016

On the road again: Garmisch Partenkirchen to Innsbruck

A quick update of our location and the beginnings of Plan B. We stayed in Garmisch for three nights after my release from the hospital. Good thing too, because I have my moxie back, but afternoon naps and early nights have been the order of the day. No blog updates because I simply can't stay awake to do it.

The afternoon of my release I had a jolly good nap while Keith took the bus back to the hospital to retrieve his bike. He has enjoyed some good day rides while I was incarcerated and highly recommends Garmisch as a place to ride.

The next day we dealt with my bike. Shipping a bike (at least for less than the cost of buying a new one) is not as straightforward as one would think, and finally saying a sad farewell to the bike box actually felt like a relief. We were unable to mail it as an oversize package as it was simply too oversize. The post office recommended DHL but neglected to tell us that DHL packages are accepted at, well, the Post Office. Honestly. So we took a cab with boxed bike back to the hotel and tried to arrange pick up at the hotel online, with the help of the hotelier who speaks fluent English. After much effort on Keith and the hoteliers part (I napped through this part of the drama) the online DHL wouldn't accept payment. The hotelier sent us to the Post Office, where they explained the problem...you can ship boxes of that size within Germany, but not internationally...so back to the hotel, another cab ride with the box, and it has been shipped to our hotel in Frankfurt. That is the short version. It was an all day affair.

The next day was brilliant. We took the cable car up to the top of the highest mountain in Germany, the Zugspitze. The literature says you can see 230 km. on a clear day, and we had a clear day. It starts with a train ride, then the cable car and jaw dropping scenery at the top. There was hiking up there, but none that was suitable for me, so we took the cogwheel train down and walked at the Eibsee. Absolutely beautiful.

When I was in hospital a man was admitted at the same time, bike accident, a Garmisch resident originally from the US. He made some excellent recommendations to us and we had dinner at Collosseo - Italian, to get us in the mood, and delicious. Thanks Reid! We ate there two nights in a row.

This morning we took the train to Innsbruck and will stay here for a few days. We are moving slowly and carefully but I am feeling good. Pictures are taking ages to load so I will add them tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0