And we are off...finally!: Victoria BC to Frankfurt - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2016

And we are off...finally!: Victoria BC to Frankfurt

We are finally on our way after a tumultuous few weeks. I usually start our journals in advance of actual departure, but this year we were busy with life, and so we are leaving in an even more disorganized state than usual. It should just add to the fun.

Our son and daughter in law at the most wonderful wedding ever. We had so much fun, we gained a daughter in law who is absolutely the best and we are so happy! We are such a lucky family.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A week after the wedding we had another major life experience, as my Mom died. She lived a long and happy life and we travelled to celebrate that with my siblings. She was just a few weeks short of her 95th birthday. I will think of her often this trip.

Once home we began our preparations by taking our bikes to our favourite local bike shop, North Park Bikes. Here they received some tender loving care and a thorough going over. We took them for a test ride after their spa experience and they felt like new bikes.

My Surly LHT at North Park Bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next up was electronics. We are so dependent on Keith's iPhone and his Galileo app that we decided to upgrade his iPhone and I would take over the old one so we would have a back up. Imagine his surprise and my delight when we left the store with a new iPhone for me! His phone is unlocked and we couldn't get the new one unlocked before departure so that was the basis of the decision. Galileo is an offline program so it will work on both phones, but Keith uses his phone to book accommodation so we wanted it to have the ability to accept a SIM card.

Dylan at Wireless Wave was both patient and helpful. I love my new rose gold phone.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We now had the basic components in place. The house sitters arranged, we were ready to pack. Our good friend Nick drove us to the airport and we had two incredibly smooth and on time flights, Victoria Calgary and then Calgary Frankfurt. We were fortunate enough to have extra seats on the Frankfurt leg so we were as comfortable as it is possible to be in economy.

Frankfurt is hot! Tomorrow I will be wearing my cycling sundress and a half a bottle of sunscreen for sure. The forecast is for 32 C. Today it hit 34 degrees. We are cool and comfortable in the Sheraton Hotel, the bikes are assembled and we are ready to go.

Nick and I at the Victoria airport. We didn't take the apples to Germany!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0