Vienna to Passau: Trains and Police Officers - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2015

Vienna to Passau: Trains and Police Officers

Keith and I went round and round last night about the best course of action, and decided to sleep on it and decide in the morning. When we woke up we looked at another day in Vienna, but the accommodation situation was simply out of sight. The cheapest thing we could find was in the 200 Euro range. That was for a budget hotel. I guess you can't blame the hoteliers...everyone is trying to make a living, but it was too rich for us.

After much thought we have decided to save Budapest for another trip, the one where we will stay a week in Vienna, not a convention week, and a week in Budapest. So we rode our bikes to the train station and bought tickets to Passau.

The bike ride to the train station was incredible. Almost all on bike lanes or in bike/pedestrian zones. Keith used Google maps to get us to there with very few miscues. We passed by many of the beautiful buildings we saw yesterday and some new ones too. It was about a twenty minute ride.

I bought the tickets, and tried to explain to the lovely clerk that six minutes may be fine to change platforms and trains if all you are carrying is a purse, but it is a bit of a tight timeline with loaded bikes. She assured me we would be fine. I can assure you she has never actually done it! The first train was a fast train and we met the lovely Laura, from Passau, who was returning home from riding Passau to Budapest on her own. She shared our concerns about the train change, so we came up with a plan.

Aided by other passengers, we removed the bikes from the hooks before Linz. Then, all hands on deck, we got all the panniers out of the train, followed by the three bikes. We then rode the bikes to the elevator, crammed all three of us in, went down a level, repeat, and back up to the next platform. How I wish we had pictures of the elevator mash up. We were moving too fast to even think about it. Laura spotted the bike car first, and hooray, it was a roll on, roll off train. We made it with about 30 seconds to spare.

The next train was not a fast train. It stopped at every community between Linz and Passau. When we arrived our train was swept by police officers looking for refugees. They didn't find any on our train, but were wonderful to us. They carried our bikes down and up the stairs as the Passau station has no elevator. They are building one now.

When we left the station we saw a large group of refugees being detained, and I found it distressing. We didn't linger to stare or take pictures. Laura lives just a few blocks from our hotel so we followed her lead and were checked in and drinking a beer in no time.

As luck would have it, a group of six from RVYC, and two from Seattle are bike touring and are in Passau tonight. We have just returned from a great evening of wine, beer and schnitzel and much hilarity. The RVYC Outstation in Passau! They will be staying to enjoy Passau tomorrow, while Keith and I are on our way to Salzburg. We are excited.

The Internet is very slow here tonight, so I will load the pictures in the morning. It has been a great day.

The graffiti in Vienna is an art form.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aren't these bike lanes amazing?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Vienna.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shopping in Vienna is incredible. I loved the street with all the high end shops. As my girlfriend says, if there is only one item on each shelf, you can't afford it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Laura. What a lovely person. She was a great help as well because she speaks fluent English as well as German. Laura, we can't wait to see you in Victoria. Keep in touch!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Police officers sweeping the train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No refugees on our train, but they saw a job that needed doing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And back up the other side. Very much appreciated!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It would have been quite a hike with the loaded bikes if we hadn't had the help. The young female officer helped with mine, which I was certainly capable of doing. I think I must have reminded her of her Grandmother! We were so appreciative though...a small gesture but it meant a lot, and it was fun!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met the Thains, Daleys, Surgents and Jonssons for happy hour first, and don't we look happy??😀
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then out for dinner. Beer was involved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A long walk to this restaurant for some, but it was worth it. We almost got Don to play the accordion for us but cooler heads prevailed. A fun evening enjoying the four German food groups.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 1,258 km (781 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0