Salzburg: A Fortress and a Great Deal of Walking - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2015

Salzburg: A Fortress and a Great Deal of Walking

Salzburg is a stunning city. It is just the right size to explore on foot. We walked and walked today, toured the fortress and enjoyed the city.

We started out in the morning heading for the Hohensalzburg Fortress. We were having so much fun looking around the city we didn't actually make it until 11:00 AM. We kept getting distracted. I suggested to Keith we take the funicular up, but you guessed it, he wanted to walk. So walk we did. It really was lovely, but our legs certainly don't get much of a rest on a 'rest' day. The fortress was huge, and had a great audio tour that filled in some of the history. Great news, we went down on the funicular, which was just plain fun.

First thing this morning, another selfie stick. We get quite a kick out of watching people with them. Wish we had invented them! They are everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back through the gardens...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over the love lock bridge...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Past the school field trip...(To my still teaching friends, run, don't walk and get a class set of these mini safety vests. What a great idea.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the narrow alleys...
Heart 0 Comment 0
And you are in fantasy land.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are cathedrals, and a castle too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh my!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selfie sticks of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Or the good old fashioned way, an exchange of cameras.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old fashioned way means you meet great people like Lindsay and David, two teachers from China via California. We had a great visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views are stunning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interiors were interesting too. I am glad I didn't have to live in a castle. Although I suppose it beat being a peasant down below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down the fun funicular we went, back into Salzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a restorative lunch, and walked some more. We met a touring cyclist from Holland, and Keith took his bike for a spin. We also spotted some other interesting bikes. Then we walked to the Bike Palast, which was recommended to us, and found some cycling gloves for Keith. He won't easily lose them! They are bright, bright yellow. We asked for advice about our upcoming route and Keith and the most helpful and generous man you can imagine spent a great deal of time discussing options. I looked at bikes, gear and an awesome selection of clothing. We can't say enough about how generous the proprietor, Herbert, was with his time. It was much appreciated. We forgot to take his picture! Darn.

We left the bike shop, walked some more, and then had a memorable meal at a tiny spot called Pasta und Vino. What a great restaurant. No menu, just what is fresh, and fabulous food.

The rest of the pictures will have to wait for the morning. The Internet is crazy flaky, and I am crazy sleepy!

Here is Marco from the Netherlands.. I told him if Keith didn't come back with his bike he was stuck with me for the rest of his life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith really enjoyed taking it for a spin. He said it was a totally different ride from our Surlys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marco was really loaded. He is doing a lot of camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another interesting bike. An electric recumbent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This would be comfy on the cobblestones!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't think this one is rideable, but we liked it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Three different kind of pastas for dinner. Unbelievably good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a fantastic spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0