Rheinfelden to Auggen: Hills and Vineyards - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 17, 2015

Rheinfelden to Auggen: Hills and Vineyards

We had another great visit this morning with Gerhard and Yvonne. Yvonne had to work today, so we said goodbye to her shortly before 9 AM, and finally pried ourselves away from their beautiful house just before 11 AM. Off we went in the direction of Basel. It was another Okanagan morning. Dry, but with low hanging cloud. It was noticeably warmer than yesterday, I thought. Keith wasn't so sure.

Gerhard's latest project, and almost complete. A flat on the ground level of his home. The house sits on a hill, so this is at grade, and then the two levels below are Gerhard and Yvonne's home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out on the deck overlooking the water. There will be a roof overhead, that is what the sign language is about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I want these (motorized of course) for my French doors at home. They are on the exterior of the building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A huge undertaking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For some reason, the wine perhaps, we didn't take any pictures of the raclette. Darn. This is at breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerhard with Lottie. Lily is pretty busy...she is brooding over eleven eggs. They are due to hatch on Tuesday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lottie had popped in for Fruhstuck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
She wasn't allowed to stay long though. Then she was outside, looking in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching the rowers get their morning workout from a comfortable spot, coffee in hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was hard to get moving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gerhard heading to work on his renovation. The flat used to be a restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look back before we headed out of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We managed to find our way into the outskirts of Basel with absolutely no drama. There was one umleitung but it was well marked and we were back on the bike path in no time. We came across three young people bike touring and had a good visit with them. Then the bike path popped us out at the exact location we met Gerhard last year.

Don't worry, we weren't on this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scott, Rich and Sarah, from Texas. Scott and Sarah have been on the road for two and a half years! Rich joins them when he can, and evidently every time he does, it starts to rain. You can read about Scott and Sarah's adventures at www.wanderwheels.com.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great riding. Tree tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Radweg popped us out here, where we were standing puzzling a year ago about the best way to go. Gerhard offered help, and then led us to Rheinfelden, and the rest is history. We were offered a place to stay, given a tour of the Roman ruins and made new friends in Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That tall building in the background is where Gerhard works when he is not renovating. He is a kind man with a big heart.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We headed up into the hills today, into the vineyards. It was a great ride, but this is off the main Radweg and frequent navigational checks and the hills kept our average speed down. I don't have a paper map for this section so I have to keep an eye on the CN...at one point today he went through a tunnel and came to a T intersection. Unaware that I hadn't gone through the tunnel yet because you had to cross the road to get there and there was traffic, he happily carried on. I got to the T and didn't have a clue which way he had gone. I crossed my fingers and headed up the hill, as it seemed the most logical way, and was just about to retrace my steps when he came looking for me. We both would have been unhappy to do that hill twice!

We are going up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith bought some wine at this farm gate. It is not going to win any awards, but definitely drinkable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area reminds us of the Alsace, which, of course, is just across the valley in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found this in front of a bookstore in a village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A golf course. There were lots of golfers out. We had a little navigational glitch here, and went down the cart path, thinking it was the Radweg. They have many similarities, and this seemed to be on the edge of the course. When we got to the tee box at the twelfth hole we realized our mistake. The upside was finding the washroom there too. Most convenient!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards. We love riding through vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Think of all the wine this represents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perhaps these are being saved for ice wine?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in the charming village of Auggen and those leaden skies were starting to drizzle. I saw the Hotel Krone Auggen, and it said it had a sauna. Hmmmmm. We inquired, the price was right, the place looked gorgeous, and we decided to carry on. We did. For about five hundred metres. Keith stopped, we looked at each other, and turned right around again. It is a beautiful spot. We have had a sauna (actually, I have had two), a swim, and are cosy and happy. I may go for a third textile free sauna before bed. Spontaneity when bike touring is great!

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,323 km (1,443 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0