Laufenburg to Rheinfelden: Raclette to Warm Us Up - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2015

Laufenburg to Rheinfelden: Raclette to Warm Us Up

We had a slow start to the day. Knowing that we were only going as far as Rheinfelden we felt very relaxed. We lingered over breakfast and set a new record for slow getaways.

We explored Laufenburg, both the German and Swiss sides. I also bought a nice wooly toque, as it was cold outside! We really enjoyed the old town, and had it practically to ourselves. We wondered where everyone was. It was like the zombie apocalypse. We climbed the tower on the Swiss side and saw two other people at this very touristy spot. We found all the tourists and residents when we got back to the hotel to pick up the bikes and panniers. They were all in the dining room, overlooking the Rhine, eating good food and drinking beer. What a great idea!

We, however, jumped on the ponies. I was trying to figure out how to fit the pom pom on my new toque under my bike helmet. I had to settle for my black beanie, but it worked just fine.

Laufenburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Saint on the bridge between Switzerland and Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tower on the Swiss side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
the rooftops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They don't fool around with construction here. Everything is built to last.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gnomes!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Classic narrow streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a very pretty spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge. One side is Switzerland, the other side is Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back as we leave town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of our reflections last year was that we needed to slow down a bit...the cycling itself is such a pleasure the temptation is to keep going and today we certainly took our time. One thing I find fascinating is that riding in the opposite direction, everything looks different and new. Goofy, but true.

We stopped in Bad Sackingen next. It is another spot with an atmospheric old town and huge pedestrian area. We had lunch here, checked out a few of the shops, the baroque church, and the old bridge. The bridge alone is worth going to Bad Sackingen to see. Then we went for coffee and cake at a spot we visited last year and enjoyed. The people remembered us, and that was a lovely surprise. In Bad Sackingen the sun came out, and that, while predicted, was also a pleasant surprise!

The bike paths in Europe are pretty hard to beat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Advertisements for anything a cyclist might want...rooms, beer, food...are often displayed like this along the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baroque church in Bad Sackingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So, you guessed it, another baroque interior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another jazzy pulpit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another fabulous organ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Bridge is a marvel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This saint was hanging out in a niche on the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't it gorgeous?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back from our coffee spot. Last year we took the same picture, looking back at the bridge, but hadn't been able to explore the bridge because it was being restored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have a favourite coffee shop in Bad Sackingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out the window. Divine coffee, delicious cake, baroque interior, classical music. What more could you want?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Bad Sackingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued on our way to Rheinfelden. We were both very excited to see Gerhard and Yvonne. They were so kind to us last year and we rode with a purpose, looking forward to reconnecting.

Reflections.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beavers at work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into a schloss you ride through on the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Real horses and really nice people in the courtyard. We had quite a conversation and this woman knew a lot about the history of the property.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More gourds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful old barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Window on the ancient building across from the barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Rheinfelden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The house next door to Gerhard and Yvonne. It suffers from deferred maintenance. It can be yours for about 850 000 Euro. Lot value, we presume!
Heart 0 Comment 0

And then there were no more pictures. We were too busy visiting, drinking wine, catching up and hearing about their son Joscha who is creating a storm in the rowing world. We checked in with Lily and Lottie, the chickens, and mourned Caruso, the rooster, who was killed by either a beaver or a raccoon a few weeks ago. Yvonne made us an incredible dinner of raclette. I was so happy! She also made a plum kuchen that was delicious. It was too bad I ate so much raclette I could only manage a small piece. So now it is definitely Gerhard and Yvonne's turn to come to Canada. We look forward to that!

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 2,271 km (1,410 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0