Montreal Day Three: Artist, Archaeology and Aztecs - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2015

Montreal Day Three: Artist, Archaeology and Aztecs

Mark took us out to a pizzeria last night that was terrific, called Amelia's. The place was packed and we were the only table without wine. They don't serve wine or beer at the restaurant, so you just bring your own, they open it, and there is NO corkage fee. Coming from BC, this is a radical concept, and we loved it. You know what I will have in my handbag next time we go out! The three of us were googling the nearest beer and wine store, but alas, it was too far away.

On the walk home we were reminded of cycling's unfortunate realities because we saw a bike accident on Blvd. St. Laurent. Thank goodness the cyclist seemed fine, and just a bit shaken up. It happened so fast we can't be 100% certain how it transpired, but a man opened his door, the cyclist either hit it or swerved to miss it, and she went down, her rear wheel under a passing car. It looked bad for a moment, as I watched her rear light blinking under the car, but after gathering herself she stood up and seemed OK. In true Montreal fashion she was riding in a dress and high heels. The authorities were called, and everything took place in French, so we couldn't be much help. There will be some bruises today I am sure.

Mark joined us again for breakfast before heading to work, and then we planned our day. We walked down to Notre Dame Cathedral by a circuitous route, checking out all the interesting streets and Place des Arts on the way. When we got there the Cathedral certainly didn't disappoint. We admired it's details and stained glass.

We then walked around Vieux Montreal, and in front of one art gallery were both really taken with the art. We went in for a closer look. The artist, Rene Gagnon, has a style we both loved. I would have purchased any of his paintings. Unfortunately, they weren't exactly in our price range, but the price was right for lingering in the gallery, learning more about him, and admiring his work. The proprietors of the gallery were so lovely and welcoming. Then we found out the artist was downstairs being interviewed by CBC. The interview was just winding up and we felt privileged to be able to meet him.

By this time we were both starving so we found a spot for lunch. Keith had a crepe, and I know it is touristy, but I had french onion soup. It was delicious. I haven't had it in years.

Suitably fortified we went to Pointe-a-Calliere. It is a museum housed in four buildings. We started with the temporary exhibit on snow. Loved it! Some of the old footage of early snowmobiles was hilarious. It was interesting to contemplate what winter was like in small villages before the invention of snowplows. In early Montreal snow was cleared from streets by shovel. Imagine.

Then we toured the archaeological crypt. The newest building is built on pillars over an archaeological dig. It explores the history of Montreal. We then watched a multimedia presentation and following that needed coffee at the restaurant before we checked out the temporary exhibit on the Aztecs. We learned a lot today!

We are once more back at our apartment, Mark has arrived from work, and we are discussing dinner. Poutine anyone?

Our pizza at Amelia's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
See, bring your own wine. How civilized!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. This mural is just down the street. It was hard to choose because we saw many other contenders.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is pretty amazing too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the square outside the cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very beautiful inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really liked Rene Gagnon's paintings. Here is an example.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another example.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The artist with more examples of his work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from our coffee spot in Pointe-a-Calliere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A better picture of Habitat 67, also from the museum terrace, while enjoying a coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way back to the hotel after a great day as tourists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last mural spotted on the walk home. There was a photo shoot going on using the mural as a backdrop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The three of us ventured out for dinner, and yes, there was poutine involved. We also spent time on Rue St. Denis. The shopping was fun, and I actually bought something...for Mark. I don't have to carry that around Europe! We also walked down Ave. Mont Royal which is closed to traffic on the weekend. There is a festival, Nuit Blanche going on, and it was a happening place. Another great day! Keith says we need to get on our bikes. This tourist business is exhausting!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0