Kreuzlingen to Neukirch: A Flat Tire and a Change in Route - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2015

Kreuzlingen to Neukirch: A Flat Tire and a Change in Route

We had a terrific breakfast at the B and B Gisela. It was a fun place to stay and we appreciated our hostess, who made us feel so at home we almost forgot to pay her. Good thing she was on the ball.

A fantastic ten jammer breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gisela, who looked after us so well, and guests from Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a great start to the day. We have ridden this part before and really enjoyed it. I found it funny that I recognized, well, absolutely nothing. We were going in the opposite direction, so maybe that is why, but it wasn't until we were just outside Stein am Rhein that anything looked even vaguely familiar. Once in Stein am Rhein I knew I had been there before. It is so stunning it would be impossible to forget, and we spent the night last year. Today we stopped for tea and snacks and then carried on.

Fachwerk house. The ride along here was great. So many neat little villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans. Look how clear the lake water is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marian, this one is for you. I am not sure what your machines are, but I know where you can get a big Bernina!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A colourful display at this roadside stand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed the tracks several times today, and had to wait for the frequent trains to go by several times too. We like the trains!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are not sure what this is, but we see fields of it, and it sure is pretty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our tea and cake stop in Stein am Rhein.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are back on the Eurovelo 6 and seeing other bike tourers again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About to head out the gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a short section of the bike path on the highway, a designated bike lane. Then it was a left into the gorgeous countryside. We weren't too far along when the CN had his second flat of the tour. We are so lucky it is astonishing. It could have been yesterday, while we were lost, in the rain, but nope. It was in the sun, next to a picnic table (very convenient) and that made things so much easier. I made sympathetic and supportive comments and snacked while Keith did all the work. It turned out to be a tiny wire, probably picked up on that short section of highway riding.

Keith, hard at work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was amusing myself with the camera.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So I took a picture of the offending wire, artfully placed on the back of Keith's bright glove. It was tiny, just a few millimetres long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back from the picnic table.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the road again. Fall riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gourds for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down by the riverside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cow spa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Schaffhausen. A really neat city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schaffhausen has a huge pedestrian zone. I love those.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Schaffhausen we visited tourist information to get some information about accommodation down the road. The very helpful woman there convinced us to try out Radweg 77, rather than Eurovelo 6. It sounded great, we headed out, map in hand with clear instructions on how to get to it, and promptly got lost. There was much climbing involved in being lost again. Honestly, Route 77 was starting to look like a dumb idea. Finally, between the map, kind strangers and the GPS we were headed in the right direction...but the Radweg was on the other side of the railway tracks, which stretched on forever. I have to give the CN and his Galileo app full credit for finding a way under them!

We are now warm and comfortable at Little Graceland, a B and B in Neunkirch. We are a short distance out of town, surrounded by fields and the proprietor's horses. It is awesome. I didn't want to leave the barn. We had a fantastic dinner and local wine in the neighbouring village...wood fired pizza. Yum yum. The owner of the B and B was kind enough to drive us. The first time I have been in a car since August!!

On our way at last.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ponies are sleeping with the horses tonight. There will be more pictures tomorrow, for sure.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 2,185 km (1,357 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0