Lindau to Kreuzlingen: Technical Difficulties Result in Navigational Hiccup - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2015

Lindau to Kreuzlingen: Technical Difficulties Result in Navigational Hiccup

I wanted the subtitle to be navigational disaster, but the CN overruled me. It wasn't really a disaster, I have to admit, but why did we have to wait until it was raining to get so completely confused? I am getting ahead of myself though...it was an incredible day. We will be laughing about it for years.

The day started with me bemoaning the fact that Tuesday was going to be a rainy day. It wasn't until we were literally out the door and riding that I realized today IS Tuesday. That explained the lack of sun, but at this point it was dry, and would stay that way almost all day.

We enjoyed our buffet breakfast at the Hotel Viktoria. We really enjoyed our stay here. Such nice people, and so helpful.

Getting ready to go. My beloved toe warmers. They really do the trick. They don't keep them dry (although they are drier) but they do keep them warm. I love them. I was getting ready for tomorrow's cool but sunny forecast!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The proprietors at the Hotel Viktoria were wonderful to us. We really enjoyed our stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a very gray day when we left, but it wasn't raining, and the forecast was no rain until 3 PM, so that was good. We headed around the end of the lake, through Bregenz, in Austria. It was a neat little city. They had the most amazing outdoor theatre, and we're just starting to dismantle the stage from a Puccini opera. What a facility. It was incredible really. There were lots of boats, big and small, and it was a most enjoyable ride.

Very gray day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From a distance, we thought this was a cool waterfront building designed to look like a boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It turned out to be a really ugly boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A really ugly party boat. It did look like it would be pretty awesome for parties though. The center of the boat was wide open, with all the tables having a view of the party floor and the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were having fun taking selfies in the mirrored windows. You have really got to love the CN's gloves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The incredible set they were just starting to dismantle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The terracotta warriors, marching into the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is an open air theatre which faces the lake and is right on the shoreline. It was incredibly impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A photo of a photo. An example of a set from a past production.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. In front of the theatre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before we left Bregenz we came across this. Jeez Ron J., we told you not to put Kairos in the dryer. She is bleached out and she shrank!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a Bregenz bike path. Please do not walk on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And right next to it, this is the walking path. Please do not bike on it. How awesome is that?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We carried on down the lake. We had forgotten how easy it is to spin along when it is flat, flat, flat. We really enjoyed it! There was lots to look at, although having also done the north side of the lake, I would say it is prettier...but we really enjoyed our ride. The route was incredibly well signed. I laughed out loud when we came a round a corner and their were multiple warnings to TURN LEFT!! That is because if you didn't you would be swimming. I think the average cyclist could have figured it out on their own. It was nice to be so well looked after though. The rain held off until the predicted 3 PM, when it started to sprinkle. Shortly before that we met and cycled with Iris, who was on her way home from the Munich marathon.

One of probably hundreds of marinas on the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Optis. These bring back so many memories of our boys learning to sail. They are both fine sailors, in no small part thanks to these bathtubs with masts.
Heart 0 Comment 0

U

This guy was raising money for something...we never did figure out what.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely Iris. Mom, marathoner, bike tourer and all round nice person.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shortly after we said goodbye to Iris, the rain began, although at this point it was just spitting, and we didn't have far to go. We weren't counting on navigational issues. We were in an orchard full of strudel trees, and inquired about buying some apples. Seems the apples they were picking weren't the best for eating and they sent us to their farm gate. What fun we had there.

We met Lisa! What an amazing (and beautiful) young person. First she sold us, not just apples, but their world famous apple pie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then she pointed out the sun for us...on her jacket, gave us perfect instructions back to the bike path, and was just all round terrific. I hope her boss knows what a winner he has with her tending the shop!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now it was actually raining, but we didn't have far to go. Hah! Keith looked at his phone, and his carefully book marked B and B location had morphed to the middle of the Bodensee. How does that happen? Now, as I loosely understand it, he knew the B and B was right by a small lake, and so off we went towards a random lake...the wrong one. In the rain. We went up a hill which was a killer. It levelled out a bit and I asked him if he was sure we were going the right way. Yup. OK then. Then a very nice Swiss man on the sidewalk informed us that the hill (not a positive incline, a hill) was just the warm up, that the mountain was yet to come. I tacked my way up that one. At that point we were on gravel, in a forest, and the whole thing wasn't making any sense. We forged on. I laugh just to think about it. Fortunately we came across some kind of a forestry operation ( I kid you not) and Keith actually asked for directions while I huddled under the eaves. Our day was saved by Steve and Niki, and after several more kilometres, pretty much all downhill we arrived at our fabulous B and B. We will laugh about it for years.

Even the sheep weren't liking the weather. Heads under, butts out. These were the unlucky ones. The rest were happily curled up underneath.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a multi day school field trip, and some of these young people were looking less than thrilled.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our saviours, Niki and Steve. I wish I had a picture of the two of them and Keith working out how we had gotten it so wrong. It wasn't a quick process. Thanks for all the help guys!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a great day...especially the end. We just really enjoyed it. We had one last minor glitch when we rang the bell at #23...the address of our B and B, and no one answered. That is when we realized we needed 23A, and we were warmly welcomed by Gisela, who made us so comfortable. We are fed, wined and showered, and looking forward to tomorrow. This is such a wonderful way to travel.

One last picture. This is me, going sideways up the second hill. It was the only way I could do it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 2,122 km (1,318 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0