Heidelberg to Darmstadt: A Great Day to Ride - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2015

Heidelberg to Darmstadt: A Great Day to Ride

Some days are a surprise and this was one of them. Last night we consulted with one of the staff in our restaurant about our route. With his help we decided to cycle straight up the Burgstrasse Radweg to Darmstadt. Even though he said it was lovely, and was very encouraging, I had my doubts, as approaching Frankfurt I was expecting lots of industry and little scenery. Well, I tell you, one of the good things about low expectations is that when the ride exceeds them so dramatically it is such a wonderful surprise.

I am still disappointed about missing Mainz, but the extra day in Heidelberg meant we would have needed a train, and for some completely irrational reason I want to close the loop on my bike. Besides, there is always next year!

When in doubt, consult a keen cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved our crooked hotel. The staff at the front desk were so incredibly helpful, the location was perfect and the room was huge. Our bikes were secure on their own balcony and the restaurant was excellent. I did remember to ask how old the building was, but the receptionist wasn't sure. She did know they weren't allowed to change anything because it is such a historical building. Look carefully at this hallway. Nothing is square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting ready to go in front of the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy is on the building across the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one was looking over Keith's shoulder while we were having breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Immediately after leaving Heidelberg we were in wine country. It was just gorgeous. We went through charming villages, vineyards and rolling hills. In Ladenburg we bought lunch at the Saturday market. I chose the cheese, Keith chose the sausages and we rounded it out with fresh fruit.

Heading out on the pedestrian bridge. There was no fog this morning, and we were shedding layers within the first few kilometres.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now here is a cat! Public Art of the Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at Heidelberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even in the heart of the non pedestrian zone, there is always a bike lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Honestly, I was expecting schmoken stacken and urban sprawl. I couldn't have been more wrong.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random old stuff too!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Infrastructure repair.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch looked after, we carried on. We came across the most fascinating project. It was a tunnel under construction, right under vineyards and houses. We think it was connecting one Autobahn to another one...if you can read German you will know way more about it than we do, but it was pretty neat to see.

Lots of atmospheric fachwerk buildings in the villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hard for the CN to decide what to get. I was having my own choice challenges with the cheese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This stopped us in our tracks. A huge undertaking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This explains it. Keith continues to work on his German, but this was beyond him.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we wound our way into Weinheim. I had never heard of Weinheim. Gorgeous spot. We stopped for coffee and kuchen here to soak up the atmosphere. It was simply amazing.

There is the industry I was expecting, way off in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First we came to a castle and a beautiful park in Weinheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wedding. A beautiful bride and a handsome groom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They enlisted Keith to be wedding photographer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apologies to the bride, who looked stunning, but wasn't quite ready when Keith took this picture. It is the only picture we have of the whole group though, and I wanted to include it because they were such lovely people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weinheim was beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our table.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How to keep energy levels up on a bike tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are happy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Starting out of town...and then we saw this...
Heart 0 Comment 0
More public art. I really laughed at this one. If he had been holding an iPhone, it would have been a perfect representation of Keith as Chief Navigator saying we go that way, and me as the 'Go This Way' device and chief sign reader saying we go this way!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride was simply terrific. We rode through more lovely villages, stopping at a park bench for our picnic lunch in one. We passed more random old stuff, and eventually the bike path spat us out in the centre of Darmstadt, which has a huge pedestrian area and lots of shopping. Lucky for the CN tomorrow is Sunday and everything will be closed.

We went out for Japanese food tonight. It was so good. Veggies!! We met a lovely young couple at our table Mathias and Denise, and enjoyed our conversation with them very much. Tomorrow we ride to the airport and box the bikes. It is hard to absorb that we are just about done. I plan to savour every moment tomorrow. It is over too soon.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Still enjoying the vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing signage, as always in Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the castle in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the scoop on the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I want to sleep in that castle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was just a beautiful ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A crooked old house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were close to Darmstadt here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Darmstadt's enormous pedestrian zone. That dome at the far end is a church. We will do more exploring tomorrow morning. We have an extra hour as Germany switches over from daylight savings time tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like Darmstadt!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 2,691 km (1,671 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0