Darmstadt to Frankfurt Airport: We Closed the Loop - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2015

Darmstadt to Frankfurt Airport: We Closed the Loop

Well, we completed the tour on our bikes and it felt good. Today's ride was slow and we savoured it. I actually felt like we were both dragging our feet. The end of a successful tour is bittersweet.

We stayed in a Best Western last night. It was actually the best deal in Darmstadt, located just outside the pedestrian zone, and it was a great hotel. I told Keith we were transitioning back to North America a couple of days early.

Breakfast this morning was definitely a ten jammer. We were able to linger even longer than usual because Germany switched over from Daylight Savings Time last night. As a result, despite the extra hour, we got rolling at the usual time.

Our hotel. Great location, great staff and coffee in the lobby 24/7.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Probably 80% of our riding today was in the forest. With all the leaves changing colours it was a beautiful ride. The CN got us out of Darmstadt and on the trail to the airport easily. His Galileo app really works well and he keeps finding more things he can do with it. I just followed behind. We really took our time. I told Keith I would love to have more time. It seems surreal to me that we will be on a flight tomorrow afternoon. After two months of no real responsibilities, not even having to make my own coffee in the morning, it will be a transition! All we had to do was jump on the bikes each day and go for a ride. Since we love to do that, it was great.

A fall ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had gone barely 20 km when we stopped for tea and goodies...the final German pastry and chocolate. We really were taking as much time as we could for our last day.

The final picnic bench for this year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed over the Autobahn again. A couple of motorcycles went under the overpass...oh my goodness. I have a healthy sense of self preservation and 200 clicks on a motorcycle would terrify me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will miss these signals, in our lane, just for bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are getting close.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we were there. It was a neat feeling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met another cyclist who was with his brother and family. His brother is a pilot with Lufthansa. Not our pilot though. Darn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great shot by the chief photographer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The nephew. In case you are wondering...."Lisa is over there, in the tower!" Translated from German by Dad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The family. The little guy was just adorable. Another one of those positive encounters that make travel such a pleasure.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rocked up to the Sheraton on our bikes where we were greeted like old friends. Our boxes were waiting and the bikes are ready to fly. We cant say enough about the Sheraton and their level of service. They even provided vouchers for cocktails because it is Keith's birthday. On the recommendation of Ali, who has been so good to us, we have just had one last fabulous German meal. He walked us to the restaurant so we wouldn't get lost. So thanks to Ali, Happy Birthday to Keith, and airport adventures await in the morning.

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,724 km (1,692 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0