So There are Hills in Bavaria: Donauworth to Ingolstadt - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2014

So There are Hills in Bavaria: Donauworth to Ingolstadt

I am giving Kathleen a day off from writing the blog so she is working on the pictures as I write this. Our day started of course with breakfast which again was included with our room. All in all it was good and I rated it as a 7 jammer. When I asked the server if there were any eggs left (hard boiled) he asked if I would prefer scrambled. An immediate upgrade to an 8 jammer.

Yesterday's 90 k ride was mostly flat along or near the Danube. When I think of Bavaria I think of hills ...well, we found a few of those in our morning ride.

At breakfast we met Monica and Manfred who were on a short bike tour and headed in the same direction as us to Ingolstadt. They were off before us but I thought we might eventually catch them. We caught up at the 30 km mark and we decided to have lunch together.

Monica is an elementary school teacher so she and Kathleen had lots to talk about. We also commented on the unexpected climbs we encountered. What really impressed us was Manfred, who we found out was 81 years old (we would never have guessed) had no problem with these. Fully loaded bike no less. A true inspiration...perhaps we can do this for a few more years.

The afternoon ride was very pleasant through farmland, forested areas and along the Danube as we came into Ingolstadt. We were impressed with Ingolstadt and had a nice dinner at a restaurant near our hotel. Our server was a delight and the ambience was terrific.

The bike path just outside of Donauworth on a foggy morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These ponies caught Keith's eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are turnips. Probably a hundred metres long and five metres wide and three metres high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These old churches need a lot of TLC. This one was completely enclosed in scaffolding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little fellow came out from the side of the bike path, attached to the most delightful elderly lady who was so pleased we liked her dog. Since her English was about as good as my German we had a limited but very happy conversation about where we were going. We said goodbye, rode about 150 metres and she hollered "STOP" so we did. Sure enough, we had missed a sign and she was pointing where to go. She saved us who knows how many kilometres in the wrong direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith took this from up above me. I joined him at the next opportunity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from up there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a sailboat of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Further along the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And you were wondering why that cute little Scottie dog wasn't Hund of the Day? Well, meet Doggen, the Great Dane. He is a Hund as big as my Surly pony. We should have put it in the picture for perspective. He was out walking with a couple of canine companions and his human. He is our undisputed Hund of the Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Neuburg an der Donau where we stopped for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch with Monica and Manfred.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neuburg from our lunch spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here are the solar panels I was talking about a few days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun never did completely burn off the fog, but it didn't rain and was beautiful on the trails.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our evening walk. See what a cool lifestyle you will have if you take up smoking! Naked, a great body, standing on a lit Volkswagen van! Vive le Moment! We can't believe this sort of thing is still allowed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ingolstadt is beautiful...and had a huge pedestrian zone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our wonderful server in the restaurant. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,032 km (1,262 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0