Meandering down the Mosel: Kobern-Gondorf to Cochem - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2014

Meandering down the Mosel: Kobern-Gondorf to Cochem

Chief navigator here. We didn't get very far today...we were determined to meander and to stop and eat the pastries and drink the wine. The radweg along the Mosel is certainly the most interesting experience we have had on our bikes. Castles everywhere of course, and views and interesting people. We couldn't go two minutes without stopping to take a picture.

We stopped to watch a large barge hauling steel go through the locks and met Helmut from Calgary doing a solo trip after several of his friends decided not to join him for various reasons. Boy - did they miss out. For all our biker friends this is a bike trip you should really do if you have a chance. It's got everything - no hills, separate bike paths, fabulous scenery around every corner, small picturesque towns every few miles, wineries etc. Bikers of all ages are on this radweg.

Kathleen is particularly fascinated with the river barges. In her next life she is coming back as a captain of one of those boats. I remember them from our last visit to the area but pacing them on your bike is really fun. We got to Cochem and decided to stop. It is tourist central here, and after Kobern-Gondorf, which was equally scenic but we had completely to ourselves, it is very different. I think this trip the towns less travelled will be our preference.

We visited the castle here, last tour of the day, and that was a stroke of luck. Only six in our tour so no problem for the vertically challenged, meaning Kathleen, to see everything. We have a lovely bett and bike, and the Surly ponies are safely ensconced in a garage.

Almost forgot to mention...in a tiny exquisite town we had the best apple strudel (with whipped cream and ice cream of course) we have had in our lives. This will now be the standard by which we will be judging apple strudel during our bike trip.

The weather today ended in brilliant sunshine ... We have been lucky so far.

Leaving Kobern-Gondorf.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pack of about 50 cyclists going the other way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fog is starting to burn off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kathleen's next career. Shipping steel down the Mosel and through locks with all the toys on board.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sun is out and it is beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hund of the day. Larry likes to bike too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Best apple strudel of our lives...so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More pictures to follow. We are rowing the internet here, not surfing!

Amazing apple strudel served here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy got tired of road traffic. Much more peaceful on the river. Only the barges to worry about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did a tour of this castle which was a 15 minute walk uphill from the village center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We thought he was a frog. He is a lion in a suit of armour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These monks knew what they were doing. Each monk was allocated only 5 litres of wine per day which presented a problem. To access their chambers in the state they were often in it was difficult to find the key hole. To solve this problem they designed a vee shaped plate, so once they found the metal plate somewhere with the correct end of the key, all they had to do is slide the key down the plate and voila the key enters the keyhole...works every time !
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cochem from across the river where our hotel was located.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 223 km (138 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0