It had to Happen...Rain!: Riedenburg to Eichstatt - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 17, 2014

It had to Happen...Rain!: Riedenburg to Eichstatt

I woke up several times in the night and it was bucketing with rain. I felt lovely and cosy under my fluffy white duvet, but wondered what the morning would bring. The forecast was a 100 percent chance of rain. You have to love that. We loved the Hotel Schwann and the proprietor. A great place to stay.

It was raining fairly hard when we got up and we lingered over an excellent breakfast and coffee. By the time we had geared up for a wet day, the rain had stopped. Seriously. In fact for the first hour we even had sunny breaks. Then it clouded over and things were looking very sturm und drang but by some major meteorological miracle (how's that for alliteration?) we were only sprinkled on a couple of times. So our luck has held out for one more day, and we are still cycling in shorts. I had my pants on for the first twenty minutes this morning but got so hot I had to strip on the bike path. Don't worry, I had my bike shorts on underneath.

The cycling was fabulous. Not as flat as advertised but that was OK for us. We met a young German couple touring who had all the gear we have plus a two year old and a four year old and their gear. We didn't bring anything like that. Maybe next time. I thought of them every time we went up a hill. They figured the trailer plus kids and gear was about 50 kilo. Yikes! The kids were tucked into their trailer with a music system singing away to the German version of Raffi. Very cute.

The villages are postcard perfect and most have castles looming over them, looking quite imposing in the dark clouds. The radweg takes you through many of the villages. We would have enjoyed staying in any one of them.

We are tucked in tonight in the Hotel Fuchs, which means fox, for anyone who was wondering. We are about to go out and explore the old town and find some beer and schnitzel.

Lock shortly after we started out on the Main-Donau Canal. We watched one of those long, lovely barges going through the lock for a few minutes. I would have stayed longer but the Chief Navigator dragged me away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here it is, toys on board. Someone was out pressure washing the deck. I told Keith that could be his responsibility. I want to be skipper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sun making a brief appearance. We love the colours and reflections on the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More reflections.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hund of the Day. It has four legs and a tail. Beautiful too. Use your imagination!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Darling wee bike tourers. They start them young over here. These two just charmed us. They are so lucky, they have great parents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nancy C., this one is for you. These were very intriguing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unlike France, there is lots of construction in Bavaria. They build things to last here...everything requires a crane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped here for hot chocolate. This very nice lady was interested in where we were from and where we were going. She treated us to the local fall tradition...she is holding one in the picture. Pretty to look at and delicious to eat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Threatening clouds all day, but lucky for us, all they did was threaten.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building dates from the early 1400's. We stopped at (what else) a bakery in Beilingries, which was a postcard pretty spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was looming over us when we stopped for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For our Victoria friends. These two words just seem to go together, even in Germany!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another look at the castle in Kipfenberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at Kipfenberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another village, another castle. I love castles, but am glad I didn't have to live in one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great looking sky, especially since it didn't rain on us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hey Rick, this is the firehall. Isn't it adorable?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was amazing. Cycling on a carpet of leaves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look what we found across the street from the hotel. Go figure.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 2,266 km (1,407 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0