History Lesson in Trier: Longuich to Trier - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2014

History Lesson in Trier: Longuich to Trier

Ascent 208 m - Descent 196 m - Net Ascent 12 m

The day started by awakening to the sound of church bells - a common sound in this part of the world. Looks like it is going to be another great day with the high of 23 degrees forecast (and it was).

The breakfast at the winery today was a "ten jammer". That's a standard by which we will rate the breakfasts we have...by the number of jams offered. We are assuming there is a direct relationship between the number of jams offered and the overall quality and variety of food/beverages provided. Further research will be required to confirm this hypothesis.

While discussing the popularity of biking with Albert and Uli yesterday Albert commented how biking has really taken off in Germany over the past several years. Similar to what we are seeing in Victoria. And that's a good thing both individually and for the planet. Albert mentioned a biking event in Germany attracts in the area of 20,000 participants. It is similar to the Gran Fondo in Victoria which attracts about 1500 I think. These types of events provide courses of 3 different lengths.

It was a very short flat 22 k ride into Trier this morming. We booked into a hotel, stowed our bikes in the hotel courtyard and set off to take in the historical sites of Trier.

We booked a walking tour which we found was very informative. The highlight for me was the Cathedral. Stunning!

Now for Kathleen's comments on our day: I think Keith pretty much has it covered, except for the visit to the bookstore where we were finally able to get the maps for the Saar radweg. I can relax now. The chief navigator was never worried.

We went out in the evening to see the Roman amphitheatre and while walking back came across a construction site for a modern building where Roman ruins were discovered during excavation. That must have ruined the developer's day! It is now an archeological dig and was fascinating. We then had a beer in the town square and met a couple with electric bikes. They insisted we take them for a spin and I was scared. Keith went first and insisted I try...well, WOW, was it ever fun. We are tempted to trade in the Surly ponies tomorrow for some real horses!!

The ten jam selection. A new standard has been set. You may think that is eleven but that is chutney on the far left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our winery/guesthouse. Loved the ten jam breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A school for all my teaching friends in Victoria. Today was the first day of school in this part of Germany. I am hoping it was the first day of school in BC as well!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Met a lovely British couple on the path. They are doing hub and spoke from their caravan and we had a good chat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith picking blackberries...but he feels under the circumstances it would be a little complicated to make pie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the impressive Porta Nigra gate (Latin for black gate) built by the Romans dating back to 186 AD. It was part of a system of four gates and survived because a Greek monk lived as a hermit in the ruins. When he died he was made a saint - St. Simeon - and the gate became a church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hund of the day, the handsome Cannelle, who is a resident of Spain with Canadian roots and currently taking in the historical sights in Trier. He is so charming he has his own blog: cannelleteckelblogstop.com and Instagram: cannelleteckel
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Dom St. Peter. It is the oldest cathedral in Germany and is stunning inside. It holds an important relic, the holy robe. Our tour guide had a German accent and it was several hours before I realized it wasn't the holy rope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Konstsntin Basilica which is now used as a church. It contains the largest room without supports from antiquity. This place was huge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More pictures to follow tomorrow.

Spectacular church. This is where the holy robe is kept.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman amphitheatre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow! Was the electric bike ever fun! No wonder some of those elderly ladies pass me on the bike trail. These things really take off with just a spin of the pedals.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 376 km (233 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0