Exploring Strasbourg: History, Architecture and Zombies - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2014

Exploring Strasbourg: History, Architecture and Zombies

We headed out this morning to find breakfast with a view of the cathedral. It took awhile and the chief navigator feels I was getting a bit cranky, but I wanted the perfect atmospheric spot, and we finally ended up directly across from the cathedral watching tour group after tour group roll through the square, all following guides with umbrellas held high to guide the flock. Thankfully the umbrellas were closed because the day was rain free and in fact turned beautiful and sunny by noon.

Our breakfast was fabulous and the ridiculously expensive coffee was just so delicious I had two, which was quite extravagant but felt ever so decadent. Then we visited the cathedral again. We both agreed the exterior is unbelievable, but the interior of the cathedral in Trier was better. We then climbed the steps to the viewing platform and that was well worth it for the close up views of the lacy gothic construction and the views of the city.

Then we just walked and walked and walked, exploring the city, taking it all in. We are back in the room for a glass of wine and a rest, then we will be off again for dinner and more exploring.

The first thing we saw this morning. A police incident, complete with officers with riot gear on...not pictured...I was afraid one of them might come after us if Keith took pictures. We inquired about the problem as we couldn't see anything obvious and it was about shoes that were being given away free to the first hundred people by a very expensive retailer. Seemed crazy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What I looked like before I got my coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rose, featuring 32 ears of corn. This is above the middle cathedral entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The organ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stained glass was impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everytime I looked at the exterior I noticed something new.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way up...
Heart 0 Comment 0
And up...
Heart 0 Comment 0
And up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the date on this stone. A few years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the top. As is usual for me it took a few minutes before I could actually look over the edge. I get there eventually but it takes some acclimatization.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views were amazing in all directions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back at ground level, we found the chienne of the day, a lovely lady, distant relative of Rosie from Lora Bay, Ontario. Her name is Whiskey, in honour of her human's father in law. Rosie's humans, Lloyd and Alice, would love this bike tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And what would a day be without zombies? We stumbled upon the Strasbourg zombie festival (I am not making that up) and had some fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Why do I find this so hilarious?? She wants to drink my blood!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are back from a great dinner in the La Petite France area of Strasbourg. We ran into more zombies there. Note their dinner.

These girls were way too cute to be zombies. We loved the culinary delights of Strasbourg on their plate. Not sure they were edible though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Petite France is beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many, many restaurants to choose from. We read menu after menu trying to decide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I seem very happy with our choice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel. It is right in the heart of Strasbourg and within walking distance of the major attractions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast and lobby area in the hotel. Despite how lovely it is, we are opting out again tomorrow. We really enjoyed our breakfast in front of the cathedral this morning and tomorrow we have to saddle up those ponies and ride, so will do the same again, with our loaded bikes parked nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0