Castles, Vineyards and Villages: Mittelburgheim to Riquewihr - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2014

Castles, Vineyards and Villages: Mittelburgheim to Riquewihr

Today we had a great ride through the vineyards and small villages of Alsace gradually heading for Colmar. Flowers are everywhere in the villages which are rated 1 - 4 stars based on their respective displays in some kind of a competition. We sampled a few grapes along the way. The vineyards are busy with the harvest of grapes now underway. We decided this morning to slow down and really enjoy this area. The actual bike riding is so much fun it is hard not to keep going but there is so much to see in each little village we really need to take our time.

We are spending the evening in the town of Riquewihr in the foothills of the Volges. The fortified town is considered one of the most beautiful villages in France. The old town dates back to the 15th century. We strolled through the village which was busy with tourists who were mostly the retirement crowd. As our neighbour Rosemary says, in September the seniors get moving. Riquewihr really is beautiful and deserves its reputation, but when we think back to teeny Mittelburgheim yesterday which is not so touristy and yet in our minds just as beautiful, we are not sure which we enjoy more. There is something magical about having a town to yourself. One of the great things about bike touring is finding hidden gems that you might blow through in a car. Bergheim, where we had coffee was beautiful. One of the towns we rode through today, Itterswiller, was particularly beautiful and was another spot we could have stayed. Ditto for Ribeauville where one of the ponies was voting to stay. We will leave you guessing which one.

We are now into some hills after the first dozen days cycling on level terrain. No drama today ...just a scenic pleasant ride in the sunshine through the foothills of the Vosges. It actually got hot today, 28 C. We had a glass of wine in the village in short sleeve shirts and shorts and watched the world go by in the early evening. Then we did another vineyard hike. The views were amazing.

The camera battery died early in the morning and we used Keith's iphone for pictures, and on a beautiful sunny day, many of them are dark...he will be cleaning the lens immediately. They are all we have though!

The little dot down the highway is the GTW ... Well out of range! Doesn't look like it but this a hill!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The flower competition makes for many photo opportunities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers and more flowers !
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Winding Road !
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crucifixes every km or so. Number 13 with castle on the hill in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ponies resting while the riders stop for coffee and strudel!
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our hotel room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quaint building along our stroll thru the Old Town
Heart 0 Comment 0
You wonder about the lives of people walking these narrow alleys in the 15th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dave W - we think you should spruce up your biking wardrobe for the Wednesday morning rides... Like this guy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This flower basket caught my eye!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the colours here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mimi, the chienne of the day. She was too busy being friendly to pose, so had to be picked up. Every chien/chienne/hund we have met this trip has had the most lovely people attached (except Oscar the shy one whose human wasn't around) and we have had many great conversations as a result.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from our evening walk through the vineyard
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 778 km (483 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0