Castles on the Rhine: Ingelheim to St. Goar - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2014

Castles on the Rhine: Ingelheim to St. Goar

Today started out with a delicious breakfast included with our room. Cheeses, cold cuts, yogurt, fruit, juices, buns and much more. Just the thing for hungry cyclists. What a fabulous day. The bike path was conveniently located at our front door and what a bike path it was. Through farm land, apple orchards, corn fields and then vineyards and castles along the Rhine. We didn't know where to look. Watching the boats on the Rhine was particularly interesting.

We stopped in Bingen for an hour or so, first to find a bookstore with maps for the Mosel bike path. Unfortunately they were sold out so we will hopefully find one in Koblenz. Then we were on the hunt for a SIM card for Keith's phone. We struck out again...it is tricky enough to negotiate cell plans at home, but when it is being explained to you in German it is impossible. So no resolution to that problem yet. Riding around Bingen was a treat. A great little town.

Next stop was Bacharach to find a bakery. Another stunning spot. We wandered up the streets until we found the right bakery...all bakeries in Germany meet Keith's exacting standards so this can cause some indecision. Happy problem to have.

We stopped in St. Goar, and although we had planned to continue to Boppard (another 15k) St. Goar was so charming (and a headwind had developed) we decided to spend the night. It is a Unesco world heritage sight watched over by Burg Rheinfals with a view across the river to St. Goarshausen and the castles Katz and Maus. We have a charming room in a lovely B and B for 40 euros which includes complimentary mineral water, a piccolo of sparkling wine and breakfast. I will let the pictures tell the story.

Orchards just outside Ingelheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No chance of getting lost here. Great signage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vineyards everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Random small town across the river. It is hard to ride a straight line there is so much to see!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Striking display of fungi along the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poking around in Bacharach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Bacharach. "Take my picture. I want to be Hund of the Day".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmmmm. Which one of these delectables will we choose?
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street in St. Goar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ou hotel in St. Goar. Forty Euros ($57) including an amazing breakfast. Freshly squeezed juice, buns, croissants, cold cuts, fruit, cheese and scrambled eggs and sausage. Yummy! We are glad we 'forgot' the tent :).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our cozy room. Definitely beats camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 130 km (81 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0