A Memorable Day on the Bikes: Windsfeld to Rothenburg - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2014

A Memorable Day on the Bikes: Windsfeld to Rothenburg

May I start the blog today by telling you that I always get a kick out of autocorrect. It was several days before I caught that we had been in Lindsay on the Bodensee, not Lindau. Today I did notice that we spent last night in Windshield, rather than Windsfeld. You always have to be on the alert!

This morning we had a great breakfast at our bett and bike. Biohof Ludke is an organic farm and they raise cattle and grow grain...we think. The language barrier made some of this a bit unclear, but what I do know is that the buns I had for breakfast were made by the proprietor from local organic grain, and were still warm from the oven when I ate them.

We had such a lovely time and such an amazing sleep at this spot. If you are doing the Altmuhltal Radweg we highly recommend it. There is even a pool, and today we had pool type weather. It was such a great day to end the major biking portion of the tour. It was 24 C today, and if you had told me I would be biking in short sleeves and shorts at his point I wouldn't have believed you. I am often cold, but not today!

We had planned to ride about sixty five km today and then have a short ride into Rothenburg tomorrow, but it was such a beautiful day we decided to just keep going. Our target was Colmberg, and it was lovely, with an amazing castle, but it was such a great day to be on the bikes...so here we are in Rothenburg. We have a great hotel and are just back in the room after a good dinner. We spent a lot of time over dinner discussing today, the tour, and next year.

I will let the pictures tell the story. Tomorrow we plan to poke around Rothenburg, and then it will be train time on Tuesday. While we won't actually be on the bikes much after tomorrow, there will be some fun yet and so we plan to keep blogging until we get home on the 27th.

We felt so welcomed here and so instantly at ease that it was like saying goodbye to family. So much so we almost forgot to pay. This resulted in much laughter all around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked the name of this village. Aha, we are here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every village has its own charm. We only made it 8 km before we were stopping to admire Gunzenhausen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great public art. We are glad we are riding the ponies, not pigs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely Lana, Hund of the Day. She was relaxing with her human, both of them having already completed a 12 km walk, and it was early in the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our coffee spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Altmuhlsee. A beautiful lake with all the usual amenities and many people out enjoying them on such a great day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting ready to sail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So pretty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plenty of incredibly neatly stacked firewood. We see this frequently.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tower in the distance made me think of Rapunzul.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great little village on the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another pretty spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was just a great ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ponies watching the Surly ponies go by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pumpkin soup for lunch in Herreden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My turn with the camera.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a rare shot of the two of us, taken by another cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another village gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colmberg. We almost stayed at the castle, but it was such a beautiful day we kept going.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rothenburg in the distance. We will explore it tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 2,418 km (1,502 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0