Wet land - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2022

Wet land

Day 35 - Perpignan to Narbonne

Today was another brilliant day! My mum has been to Narbonne and told us there would be salt marshes - wetlands where the sea lies on top of the earth in a very peculiar marriage. It's used in industry to make sea salt.

What we didn't expect, was for this bizarre landscape to be around us all day! We cycled in the midst of it on raised pathways (and sometimes right on its muddy wet surface!), with nothing else around except birds, grasses and the occasional train.

First, we made it to the Mediterranean! Woohoo!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonVery neat shot. Hopefully you didn’t get sand in the gears taking it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingGuess which way the wind blows?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago



Then the sea-land started, with a weird island land spit road with water on both sides.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oyster shacks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Big gravel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We saw a huge beaver or musk rat! I heard it crashing in the hedge next to the path and then it thudded out right in front of Sarah. It looked half a metre long!

Despite feeling rested and well fed, and 85km sounding like an achievable number these days, and there being no hills, and wind but not headwind, we are absolutely wrecked after today. I think the fact that most of the day was spent on varying levels of gravel and mud, from perfect to really quite chunky, must be the reason. While it's nice to be on cycle paths and such, we must remember they make the going a little bit harder.

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 1,281 km (796 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonWe’ll, you’re right. You’re way ahead of us. We won’t even be in France for another three days, so we’ll never catch up with you now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ali JaryThanks for the mention ! I’m sorry the going’s been tough ! Hope tomorrow is better ! Sleep well ! X
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Scott AndersonAh! I fear you're right. I'll have to settle for reading your journal instead. Maybe some other time! X
Reply to this comment
2 years ago