True grit - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

February 25, 2022

True grit

 Day 7 - Triacastela to Pedrafita do Cebreiro

We knew today would be hard - one of two of the hardest, steepest sections of our entire route in Spain. However, what I hadn't realised was that a good part of this extreme climbing would be on gravel, dirt, and otherwise unsealed, gritty roads... Surprise!

It started off really hard, and got harder. It did make the brief tarmac sections feel easy peasy.

Heart 7 Comment 0
An upmarket hórreo
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Usually, it's quite difficult to capture in pictures how steep a road is...
Heart 8 Comment 3
Andrea BrownYeah, I think you've captured this one pretty well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonWow, that looks really tough even without the gravel!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Rachael AndersonYes we have been finding it rather tough!! What doesn't kill you etc etc...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Summit!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

While hard, we didn't give up. We had to push several sections, but after hours of effort, we were almost through it. The feeling of accomplishment was swelling, I could almost taste victory...

Then, probably 1km from the start of our reward - the downhill - the unthinkable happened. My crank fell off, AGAIN! After getting it fixed professionally, I was sure it would last, but no. A really rather massive cocking blood-boiling pain in the balls, if you'll excuse my exasperation.

I now suspect that it wasn't installed correctly to begin with, and my riding it in that state has permanently pooched it, and I'll need a new one. We're getting another taxi ahead to Ponferrada where there are several bike shops. Fingers crossed.

Sometimes, true grit isn't enough.

Postscript: seems like I was prolly right. We took it to a well-reviewed bike shop and despite it looking a bit more carbon fibre and lycra than we might have wanted, they agreed my diagnosis might be correct, and were able to replace my crankset with a shiny new Deore version, with an even shinier new XT small ring. The minor tragedy (aside from the not insignificant number of euros spent on taxis and repairs) is that my lowest gear is now 24-36, not 22-36.

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 153 km (95 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat’s sad you didn’t get to enjoy the coast down but glad to hear you were able to get it properly repaired.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago