The battle for Hastingues - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2022

The battle for Hastingues

Day 23 - Saint-Jean-de-Luz to Hastingues

Today started out brilliantly! Great weather, sunny, a slight chill on the breeze, and lovely cycling - lots of cycle paths, some hills but nothing too steep, and of course, beautiful coastal scenery.

Image not found :(
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The towns we passed through were obviously popular tourist destinations. Fairly busy even in this early spring season, with lots of big hotels, fancy restaurants, and beachside pastimes. And clearly lots of money around. Some of the private residences were like something from Beverly Hills!

Of course, they are popular for a reason! The landscape was really special. The rough sea and hint of lingering winter made the blue sky, perfect beaches, and dramatic rocks and cliffs all the more beautiful.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Somewhat sadly, we then turned inland. We hadn't had much time to appreciate our good times by the sea! We followed a river along extensive cycle paths, through Bayonne and then smaller towns.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

This is where our planning went somewhat awry. We turned into the town of Urt, which had two campsites. Because of reasons we don't have a French SIM, so we cycle to one, it's closed, we cycle to the other, it's closed. We go to the town's only hotel, it's closed. We go to the only open establishment in town, a pizza restaurant (it's Sunday) to use their wi-fi, which they happily let us do. Unfortunately, no passing customer or anyone invites the intrepid English couple to stay in their cabin or even camp in their garden. It is getting late.

We are in something of a hotel dead-zone, but we find one. But it is now dark and the hotel is 18km away.

Luckily, the ride was fine and we arrived before we expected to. It was just pretty stressful and annoying and annoyed-at-self and avoidable and all that. Hopefully the lesson is learned...

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 799 km (496 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ali JaryHello darlings , Sorry to have only just caught up on cycleblaze I will be an avid ❤️❤️❤️from now on. What an adventure ! with all its twists and turns ! Hope all goes well in the next couple of days ! Keep the faith ! Love you 😘
Reply to this comment
2 years ago