Finding the light - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 12, 2022

Finding the light

Day 22 - rest day Saint-Jean-de-Luz

It was exciting to think we would be entering a new country, except the enduring terribleness of the day rather dampened the experience. Also, the border was just a road with one policeman where we didn't even have to stop.

After that, it has been a bit difficult (for me) adjusting to France. My Spanish was coming along well, but I hardly speak a word of French. And maybe it's just the nature of the seaside tourist hot spot, but so far pretty much everything seems a lot more expensive and often inferior. €3.50 for a coffee with cream?

Not that it doesn't look nice, of course! Not a single sign of the rainstorm that plagued us yesterday.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We are still excited for the next phase of our trip - the Pyrenean foothills! We will be following this route from cycle.travel. They call it a "challenge route" but, perhaps stupidly or arrogantly, I don't think the climbing looks too bad... If we hate it, we can always divert to Toulouse and follow the canal down to the coast. Sarah's sister wants to visit for a few days, exact location pending, so we might stop still or change our route for that reason.

It's only 600km long - we'll be at the Mediterranean before we know it!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonHey, depending on how fast you’re moving we could cross paths! We’ll be coming into France along the Mediterranean from the south and will cross into France around the first of April.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryThat would be cool! I was hoping we would be at the (other) coast in 10-12 days, but so far we've been slower than expected, and if we stop with a visitor for a few days... It may well add up!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago