Laid back - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2022 to June 3, 2022

Laid back

Day 100 - Igoumenitsa to Parga

Days 101-104 - resting Parga

Apologies, again, for not keeping the blog up to date. Wi-fi access and but more importantly quality has been really poor. I usually quite enjoy writing the blog, but when it's impossible to upload photos, or you try and upload ~200mb of photos and it takes 90 minutes then your phone closes or the browser times out or you accidentally press back once too many times without saving and all is lost, it makes the process less fun.

Also, sometimes you somehow manage to delete some vital invisible code, and next time you save your post everything you've written is lost and you have to write everything again or contact support to get it fixed. (Edit: seems fixed now, thanks Jeff!!)

Greece is incredible: the most dramatically beautiful country so far - the cliffs, the mountains, the beaches, the olive groves, the little whitewashed towns contrasted against the blue blue sky or even bluer Mediterranean - and along with that the hottest, one of the friendliest and easiest to navigate as a tourist, and pretty good for cycling too! (Hills a bit too steep for us still). It's kind of like the Thailand of Europe. Please let me know if and why that is an ignorant and misguided comparison!

Having said that, we've had a few mishaps. The ferry we wanted to get from Igoumenitsa to Patras doesn't exist. Some websites say it does, the official 2022 Superfast ferry brochure says it does, but the Superfast website doesn't. While locals have been friendly, that doesn't extend to Greek bureaucrats, which I think the unhelpful official ferry operators count as. When asked we got mostly wide eyed incredulity, stunned silence, some passing around, and only nos of varying certainty.

We also had a komoot gravel mountain nightmare - difficult even to push, but I couldn't have cycled anyway because it was combined with a mysterious tube murdering puncture. One tube had a big slash in, tyre and rim were checked with NO obvious culprits, new tube went in, instant puncture. It made the next puncture we had, caused by a bit of wire, removed, patched, pumped, fixed, almost a pleasure.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a few rest days in Parga, which is a nice little town with a small but incredible perfect beach.

We also went across to the next town where the river Acheron enters the sea. This has something to do with the mythical river Styx, and so now we are going to live forever or something. Neat!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Wi-fi is again too slow for many pictures, sorry. I post more small regular updates on Instagram, and more little videos, if you want to keep tabs:

www.instagram.com/look_up_tothesky

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 3,773 km (2,343 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0