Goon town - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2022

Goon town


Day 12 - León to just past Sahagún

Today was pretty simple really. After some trouble getting out of town - my komoot app wasn't working right, first it stopped updating our position on the map, despite our red line moving, then it stopped showing the surrounding map, just the blue and red lines of route and progress (help??) - it was smooth sailing.

Lots of straight roads, very little traffic, few hills, even, dare I say, a tailwind.

Except for some very dramatic clouds, and views of the Picos de Europa mountains early in the day, there wasn't much to see except the infinite variation of orange and brown in the earth of ploughed fields, contrasting with the dusty green of low crops, and the muted palate of greys and off whites in the chalky gravel camino and the plane trees which lined it.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Also, lots of storks(?) in these parts, making their nests on the top of spires, towers, pinnacles, etc, floating overhead, and stalking (storking?) fields and wetlands for whatever it is they eat. Frogs and fish and whatnot I guess.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 2
Scott AndersonBeautiful shot.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Scott AndersonThanks! I've realised despite my short lens, thanks to all the megapixels nowadays I can simply crop in! At least, if the birds hover conveniently a few metres away 🙃
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

As the weather forecast is saying very high humidity, very low temperatures, and significant chance of rain and even snow, we decided against the wild camping today. We are still within the two-week, anything-goes holiday period anyway. So, we are in a hostel just past Sahagún (pronounced sa'goon), and tomorrow we head towards Burgos, though we aren't likely to make the 100km+ all the way there.

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 335 km (208 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0