Automania Albania - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2022 to May 23, 2022

Automania Albania

Day 92 - Shirokë to Ahmetaq

Day 93 - Ahmetaq to Fier

We are loving Albania! Again, we didn't have many preconceptions (can you tell any detailed pre-planning for this trip ended somewhere in Italy) but it's been great so far. It's funny how different places just have different vibes, and Albania feels friendly, fun, and laid back. Even the crazy multimodal traffic we had to navigate in Shkodër to find an ATM was laid back: not very fast, and not much homicidal animosity.

It helps that it's also nice to look at, minus the occasional river of garbage, and the weather has been about perfect.

Unfortunately for some reason I haven't taken many pictures, and the ones I have don't seem to do much justice.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tortoise!! A real life wild (I'm guessing) tortoise! It was actually pretty fast and as I tried to take photos it scurried into the side.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Halûk OkurAfter seeing one hurrying to the side of the road I started to believe they aren't slow, just extremely lazy.

No wonder they beat the hare...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Talking of doing Albania justice... It's full of wild poppies, hills and vineyards, fertile farms, chickens and goats and cows and dogs. What is this photo??
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have done a fairly big day and a big day, and it's nice to get some kilometres under our belts. It's nice to do over 100kms in a day just to prove that we can, though it wasn't easy despite being about as flat as can be (~500 metres up total). Does it ever get easy?

One thing is for sure, Albania is car mad. I have never seen so many petrol stations, car washes, car mechanics, and car junkyards. Literally one or more of those establishments every couple of miles I would say. A tiny village might have two or three car washes. As you would expect, there are also a lot of shiny German cars on the road, as well as some black-belching monstrosities that can't seem to go beyond 30 km/h, and some home made Frankensteins that definitely used to be lawnmowers or generators or something.

Today's ride: 205 km (127 miles)
Total: 3,522 km (2,187 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ali JaryAlbania ! Who knew it could be so stunning and interesting so hidden in terms of our knowing about it . Lovely photos of S. cycling .I think you underestimate your photos -they really capture it ! Love and miss you ! Perhaps expecting easiness is not quite the thinking ! It is cycling after all ! 🙌❤️
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauYou just don't see many journals with visits to Albania in them. Good job going off-plan to include it in yours. And nice description of the car mania in Albania. (I'll waive the copyright fee if you want to use that Albania/mania rhyme in a future post.)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago