We’re off - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2020

We’re off

Salt Spring Island to Parksville

We are excited to finally be on our way.

We have booked a motel in Parksville, which means we have to make tracks as we need to cover 98 km. This is good motivation for our first day on the road.

A sunny morning gave us a good start and we enjoyed the ferry ride to Crofton on Vancouver Island and headed north.

  • On the ferry, looking back at Saltspring.
    Heart 5 Comment 1
    Keith A. SpanglerFerries are lighthouses, so enjoyable and beautiful!
    Reply to this comment
    3 years ago
    Crofton Sawmill in the distance...we are on our way.
    Heart 1 Comment 0
    This is familiar territory for us as we often cycle here. We took advantage of the off road section of the Trans Canada Trail from Chemainus to Ladysmith and then followed secondary roads through Cedar and Yellowpoint to Nanaimo. 
    We are riding through a golf course in Chemainus at the beginning of the Trans Canada Trail section and encounter a new type of cycling hazard- “flying golf balls”.
    Heart 1 Comment 0
    We love finding and taking advantage of the improving cycling infrastructure in our communities.
    Heart 1 Comment 0
    Nice surface, away from traffic through lovely countryside...what more do we need?
    Heart 4 Comment 0

    Nanaimo can always be a frustrating city to ride through. We did well riding the cycle route along the old P&O rail line through town but it fell apart when that ended as we had to fight  traffic and the chaos of too many trucks and cars.
  • In Nanaimo, we took advantage of this bike trail. It was wonderful, while it lasted.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
    Thank goodness they allow e-bikes.
    Heart 0 Comment 0
     
    We enjoyed chatting with this man and his dog. We loved his Tern cargo e-bike. He and his wife also love tandeming. Nice to share thoughts with a fellow rider who shares our love of bikes and riding a tandem.
    Heart 2 Comment 0

      The last 30km on the highway to Parksville were not pleasant, but we held our line and pushed through. Our many years of experience touring have given us the confidence to stand up to these challenges.

We ended our ride with a change in the weather. For the last hour or so, the humidity broke with a cold rain storm and we arrived at our hotel, looking like drowned rats. But we were heartened by the hotel’s decision to give us an upgrade to a larger room with a kitchen. A hot shower, dinner in our room and early to bed.  Life is good.

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 98 km (61 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonGreat to see you two on the road again!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago