Why are we heading out in these crazy times? - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

Why are we heading out in these crazy times?

Our love of travel and the flexibility  to travel whenever and how we choose, define us. Barry and I have shared a life long fascination with exploring the world, appreciating living amongst different cultures and gaining an understanding of how people live their lives. We don’t take for granted this luxury, yet it seems that we did take for granted the unrestricted access to travel  that we have enjoyed.  COVID 19 has changed that. 
We had plannned a grand 7 month journey for April 2020, travelling through Portugal,  Spain, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands.   Of course, that was cancelled.

Unable to ride in Europe this summer due to Covid, we have been trying to ride on Saltspring Island everyday. Here we are having a picnic lunch at beautiful Ruckle Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

Missing the joys of travelling by bike, we decided to head out and explore our home province of British Columbia. With the goal of visiting my sister in Prince George (located in northern British Columbia), we are setting aside a month to ride from Saltspring Island to the northern tip of Vancouver Island, take the overnight ferry to Prince Rupert and then return to our home on Saltspring Island via the Fraser Canyon with another visit with Barry’s brother in Abbotsford. 

We are excited to set off on an adventure in “our own backyard”. We will miss Europe’s  closely spaced  historic villages with incredible bakeries and breweries; plus the joy of a cycling infrastructure so unique to Europe
Yet touring in Canada, we will get to explore vast wild spaces with at times, over 100 km between areas of commerce and communities. Cycling through the rugged beauty of the north with the possibility of seeing wildlife  and experiencing the solitude of  hitting the road in our vast province, presents us with a special opportunity.

We can’t wait to begin our adventure.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerBarry, hi. Thanks for sharing your journal. I postponed my tour of western Canada until 2021. I have never been to Canada except for the falls in eastern Canada, so I'm really excited to visit. Have fun!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago