Heading to Courtenay along the Island Highway Oceanside Route - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2020

Heading to Courtenay along the Island Highway Oceanside Route

We were invigorated by our first day of riding yesterday. However, not having toured in a while, and being out of practice hauling a heavy load (for 98 km in challenging weather), resulted in a slow start as we were both quite tired.

The VIP Inn in Parksville gave us a good start to our trip. Super quiet, comfortable rooms and friendly staff made us feel welcome. The new owners have updated the rooms and despite COVID, continue to offer a complimentary breakfast by making up a tray for each room. 

We always prefer to bring our bike into our room with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We forget how much our bike and gear is reflective until we take a photo with a flash
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLove this image!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

This part of Vancouver Island is a favourite area for us. The route today follows the ocean most of the day and the views are spectacular. As well, a large section of this coastline is known  for fresh oysters with pubs and cafes perched along the beach.

The weather was agreeable, sunny and not too hot.

The waiting game....this seagull was determined to either join the humans for a snack or they were in his favourite spot on the beach.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerOutstanding image!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

As usual, we made a detour up the hill to visit the charming town of Qualicum Beach and have lunch. Unlike so many small towns, the downtown core continues to flourish with many locally owned businesses serving their community. The lifestyle here looks appealing to us. They recently put a lovely new bike path from the townsite down to the Island Highway.

The waiting game....Mary Ellen the Rear Admiral waiting for The Captain.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The two laned 19A Island HighWay has a good shoulder and  follows the ocean. Inland there is a new four lane highway that runs from Nanaimo to Courtenay. 

Port Hardy is where we take the overnight ferry to Prince Rupert
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe fish that didn't get away! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Fanny Bay is renowned for their oysters and a popular place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This old ferry is being used by the oyster farmers
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonIt’s the Rhododendron, an old Washington State ferry. I probably rode this at some point decades ago.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Macs Oysters has been processing oysters for decades. Riding by on a bike gives your sense of smell a real workout
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw this much travelled trailer at the Denman Island ferry terminal
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stayed the night at the Little Bear Garden View B&B in Royston, which is 6 km south of Courtenay.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a colorful comfy room!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The B&B had a wonderful wrap around verandah and beautiful gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 160 km (99 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0