Royston to Campbell River - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2020

Royston to Campbell River

We had a lovely stay at the B&B. Comfy bed, spa tub in the bath, super quiet and made to order hot breakfast. However we were unlucky with the shop nearby...so dinner the night before was pretty grim. Barry couldn’t find any food...just beer, snacks and canned soup. So we pulled together what we could scrounge from our meagre supplies and gave up. 

Getting tips from our host Adrienne about the bike trail from Royston to Courtney along the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a pleasure to stay in such a well run and nicely appointed B and B.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our hosts, Adrienne and Rob, at Little Bear Garden View B and B. Love the wraparound deck with cosy seating all around to enjoy views of the garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fran and John were staying in the self sufficient suite downstairs at the B and B. It was interesting to chat with them about their life as they are living their dream, travelling full time with just a backpack each. Due to COVID, they had to return to Canada and have been staying long term in the suite. This is what late 70’s look like when you have the good fortune of living life on your terms with good health.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We prefer the quieter, slower and more scenic Hwy 19A “Oceanside Route” to go up Vancouver Island. The inland Island highway, Hwy 19 is newer, faster and bypasses the towns.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are on the bike route which takes us into Courtenay. We have always liked the city of Courtenay, but we haven’t been here in some time. Cycling in the city is not fun as there is a dearth of cycling infrastructure, the roads are congested and you must confidently make your way at intersections despite this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The funniest thing happened to us. As we were riding along the highway, this couple’s car pulled over and the fellow flagged us down and asked us to stop. It turns out that a few days ago someone told him that a couple they used to know were cycling on a tandem to Campbell River. Well he thought we might be they as he hadn’t seen them in years. Once we determined that we didn’t know each other, we discovered that they had lived on Saltspring Island for 27 years and their children attended Barry’s school, Fernwood Elementary. What a crazy and small world it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now, you don’t see this everyday. The homeowner creates and sells garden sculptures. We particularly loved this creation.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view of our favourite sculpture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A stop for a picnic lunch at Oyster Beach along the Oceanside route. We love the simplicity of life on the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bird life is amazing along this shore. It was hard to pick up the detail with our little camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across Discovery Passage to Quadra Island from our deck at the motel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view from our deck...the Quadra Island ferry is doing the run to Campbell River.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Several groups of Canada Geese entertained us as they powered their way along with much squawking.
Heart 5 Comment 0
And here Barry sits, enjoying the view from our deck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A beautiful ending to a good day....love staying by the ocean and watching the fishing vessels, barges with tug boats and the marine wildlife.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 225 km (140 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonSorry you couldn’t find food for dinner. Scott teases me about extra snacks I always pack but it sure comes in handy sometimes.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe Bartletts ride again. Wow! I feel like your story had ended abruptly last year, but I could be dreaming. I see the Baltics blog has a satisfying ending to it, now anyway. The photo of you with tandem and full gear in Parksville almost brings a tear to my eye. Full gear is something I haven't really seen in a year and a half.

But what is the bike? I thought Seavo was asleep at the Reitz farm, just as our bikes are asleep in Leipzig. Did your bike come home? with battery?

Also nostalgic/upsetting was your reference in the intro to the bakeries, breweries, and infrastructure of Europe. But you have taken the plunge into the harsh world of North American traffic, empty distances, and Covid to boot. Braver than us!

Bon courage, gute reise, and whatever Canadians say for this. We'll be following along!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Barry BartlettTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve,
We own two tandems. As you know our Rans Seavo stays with our friends in Germany .We retrofitted our Rans Screamer with a Bafang motor and we ride it when we are on Saltspring Island.
We have ordered two recumbent trikes that are being hand built by Azub in the Czech Republic. Fairfield bikes in Victoria are adding Bafang motors. We will be using Ligo batteries from Grin industries in Vancouver. Ligo batteries are the only lithium batteries that are legal to fly with as each battery is below the limit allowed on planes. You connect each battery like LEGO pieces until you have the range that you want.
Barry
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Barry BartlettWe already exclaimed in the above comment that you are braver than us, but these equipment plans are also equivalent to or crazier than ones we have done! We did see that you hit it off with Azub at Spezi, but forging a link with them, Fairfield, and Grin is pretty cool.

One thing, we were blithering about Ligo a few months ago to a friend who is an Air Canada pilot and he claimed that they have clamped down on this now. Perhaps he was claiming you could only take one. One each would be just 200 wh. An 8800 mah laptop would be 48 wh, so they have to allow at least 48 wh, surely. Can I bring 10 laptops on board (please!).

Also (I'm sure you have time for this amid all the cycling!) is there going to be a torque sensor put in the cranks of the Azubs, or will you make do with cadence sensing?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago