On the road in Iceland - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2015

On the road in Iceland

We have rented a Renault Clio. We opted not to get the smallest car as Barry is tall and we need room for our camping gear. It is very comfortable and a good choice for this year.

We are ready to explore Iceland in our little rental car.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is not our rental car! However, in Iceland there is every type of adventure vehicle available.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is so much to see in Iceland and we decided to pick one section (the South). The Ring Road encircles all of Iceland (1500 km), is mostly paved, and was completed in 1974. If one wants to drive long days it is possible to do this route. However, we prefer to have time to explore without constantly driving.

As soon as we left the city (but first, we went back to the Hardware store for more cheap fuel!), we marvelled at the sheer beauty of the landscape. Sheep seem to outnumber people and they are hardy creatures. Sheep are a major hazard as they cross the road when you least expect it.

Safety in numbers - they must draw straws to determine who takes the headwind. But no, in Iceland, the wind comes from all directions!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We dodged a collision on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Icelandic horses - a common sight
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Ring Road after Reyjkavik quickly changes from 4 lanes to a narrow 2 lane road with no shoulder. In places, the road literally drops off at the edge of the pavement. Where do cyclists go when a bus comes by? At this point, we are still considering our options regarding a future cycling journey here...but so far, we have not seen cyclists who look like they are enjoying themselves. Usually we see pain, not joy. It doesn't help that this is the coldest, windiest summer Iceland has had in years.

The weather changes by the moment - winter like conditions, rain, sun and ? can happen in quick succession

We know that going out for a meal here is beyond our budget, so we plan to cook and follow the example of Icelanders and order Icelandic hot dogs at Gas stations. Our first experience did not disappoint - the bun is "panini" grilled, the meat is tasty and the condiments are interesting. With salad means that potato salad is put on the bun under the dog, with the included crispy fried onions (yum) and topped with special mustard, mayo and tomato (curry is our favourite) and all of this for 300-500 kr ($3-5).

We stopped at Skogarfoss (foss = waterfall) to camp. What s stunning setting as our campsite is at the base of the falls. Hikers and cars continues to arrive for camping until midnight. I guess people take advantage of the long hours of daylight. We hiked up the side of the rock face on stairs to a metal platform with a view over top of the falls - beautiful.

A full day - it just keeps getting better.

Hiking in Iceland is immensely popular.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Living with the threat of active volcanoes in your backyard is a reality Icelanders live with. This farm was in the path of the volcanic eruption in 2010.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This farm today, 5 years later, is back to normal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0