Celebrating Cora's birthday at the Wildlife Park, Hessen Forest - Italy Bound with our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2015

Celebrating Cora's birthday at the Wildlife Park, Hessen Forest

Timing is everything….we unwittingly arrived back at Georg and Cora's in time to help Cora celebrate her birthday. What a wonderful day we had. Unfortunately, Justus couldn't be with us as he was attending University in Giessen but Georg was home, so the five of us spent part of the day visiting the "Wildpark" managed by Hessen Forest near Weilburg.
Having just returned from warm, sunny Italy, we are relieved hat the weather here in Germany has become sunny and warm. It is what locals call a Golden October. When the sun shines through the resplendent golden leaves on the trees, it is easy to understand the name.
Lunch at the Gasthaus at the Wildpark was delicious.

Clara studying the site map for the Wildpark, run by Hessen state.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The accommodation for the animals at the Wildpark is very generous in size and much effort has been made to create a natural environment with areas to hide and areas to seek out attention (if they want, like this curious and entertaining otter).
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a great face and impressive antlers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wild boar are shy animals who prefer to remain hidden in the woods. However, Georg made a sound that attracted them and large groups came running. Once they got close to the fence, they were very curious. It is hard to believe that this cute fellow is quite dangerous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first Weissen (wheat beer) since returning to Germany. It is the best!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora enjoying lunch and the sun streaming in the windows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely day spent with good friends - Happy Birthday Cora!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clara, Cora, Georg and Mary Ellen enjoying the day. It looks like Georg and Mary Ellen had the same barber!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really enjoyed watching the four lynx - such powerful, graceful creatures with observant eyes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora and Mary Ellen enjoyed the same lunch of rolled, stuffed pork and dumplings. Yummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was fun walking and hopping over this bouncy suspended walkway past the otters' area on our way to visit the Black Bears.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora and Mary Ellen enjoying a walk at the Wildpark. The park covers 228 acres with 142 animals (22 species) all native to Germany. It is a most impressive park as the animals are given large natural areas to roam. Sometimes, it takes time to find the animals. One can walk for hours here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry's meal at the Gasthaus was very tasty. We are trying to savour these flavours and appreciate the tender saucy meat (fresh wild boar) and dumplings as we won't be able to find food like this at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0