Tarvisio to Feistritz an Der Drau - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2018

Tarvisio to Feistritz an Der Drau

Well, if it is Tarvisio, then it must be raining. Last year it was so cold and wet, we didn’t want to leave our room, and when we got up this morning, it was cold and raining!!

Today we will be in Austria very soon as Tarvisio is close to the border of Slovenia and Austria.  It is always such a cultural jolt to cross a border and realize how different each country is. 

Staying at Hotel Raidl, we took advantage of their wood fired pizza oven and had take out in our room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amaron Nonini is a very popular grappa based digestif made in this region of Fruili Italy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are heading out and the rain has slowed down - and that’s good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I went in to look at this shop and before I knew it this lovely Red Setter dog came over and deposited his complete weight against my legs and loved the attention.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the picture of a happy dog and a woman who can’t move!
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we leave Tarvisio, we climb a bit into a rugged natural area and the view is the payoff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are riding along the edge of this area of gorges and we see this village with its church across the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Suddenly, we are riding down to this parking lot from the wild nature of this section of Italy, and we find ourselves at the Austrian/Italian border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ciao Italia - we will be back...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The abandoned border control buildings which haven’t been used for some time...in watching the news recently, we wonder if these will be used again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are in Austria. I know that this shows our age, but Barry and I remember travelling pre-EU and open borders . It was fun getting a passport full of interesting stamps, but we do appreciate the ease of travel without the need for visas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Austria, we are impressed by the organized signage with distances included on the route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another tandem for Seavo to meet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chad and ——(sorry, can’t remember your name), an Australian couple, most recently from England, are touring for several months on their tandem as well before returning to Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You’ve got to love these anatomically correct instructions for men to follow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
“I think I’m having a particularly good hair day. Don”t I look fine ?”... but is there someone there? I can’t see you!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such character in this face, and you can just see the left eye peaking through the bangs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This little guy was having a great time at the beach and is looking for a playmate. It was entertaining watching him try to pick up the stick, but he persevered.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fly fishing on the River Drau near Villach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We do love Italy, but peanut butter is hard to find...and all we could find was a small jar of Skippy smooth p.b. for 6 euros. Barry is happy to have found this large jar of peanut butter in Austria for 3 euros!
Heart 1 Comment 0
One can never have too many gnomes - such happy creatures. This is just a small section of the huge collection that stretches across the length of the house and garden.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Circus has come to Villach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camels at the circus - we don’t see many of this type of circus at home anymore , but it seems to be thriving here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horses are being lead in to the tent for the show.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the show must go on, for this aspiring maestro in the making. He does look ready for the challenge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we approached Villach, we saw this innovative business providing tools, cycling maps for the region (free!) and storage for your bike - Note the metal brackets on the wall where you can secure your bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have never seen this before - but doesn't it make sense as fishing is such a popular activity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Drau River is such a tranquil sight and a brilliant green colour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last year we were unable to see much of the Drau River, nor could we ride the trails due to flooding. It is good to be able to do it this year in better conditions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding along rivers and through farm areas are such a pleasant way to cycle tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just like last year, the area where we have stopped for the night is a challenging region to find accomodation. We stopped at a number of large guesthouses that appeared to be available, and they all turned us away. Then we found, Gasthof Zentral in Feistritz an der Drau and they welcomed us to stay - no problem. We treated ourselves to a delicious Austrian meal and local beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had pork in pepper sauce (so tender and tasty) with roast potatoes, veggies in a hot skillet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry also had pork, but in mushroom sauce with house made spaetzle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 3,235 km (2,009 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0