Seavo gets repaired and we ride to Torroella de Montgri - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2018

Seavo gets repaired and we ride to Torroella de Montgri

Llanca to Torroella de Montgri

It may sound strange, but we are grateful that Diego could not get the brake pads for the rear disk delivered until today as it had forced us to have a short day of riding yesterday. Also, checking in early  and resting in the comfort of Hotel Beri with its big tub for soaking were both just what Mary Ellen needed. 

We are not camping as it just wouldn’t work for Mary Ellen right now. Plus, as much as we love Spain...and we do!....the  camping we have seen  so far is not what we enjoy. Campgrounds are like mega cities with huge amusement parks, 100’s of mobile homes for rent, very expensive for tenting -  hotels are a better bargain for us here.

Riding is OK if Barry warns me of each bump on the road (and there are MANY speed bumps etc.). The problem is in moving, getting on and off the bike and walking. How can one simple fall make such a difference? Oh well, each day will be better.

Llanca is not a town that sees a lot of tourists as most people flock to the beach towns down the coast. We found Llançà to be charming with much history and friendly people. Staying here gave us a unique and genuine ”Catalonian” experience. However, the highlight remains meeting Diego. What a sweet man with boundless energy. His expertise with our bike and his engaging personality left us with wonderful memories (and a safe bike for the hills ahead!)  Gracias Diego!

Finding Barry in this photo reminds me of the picture books of the Find Waldo series. Having breakfast at the Beri Hotel - 3.50€ for a buffet Wow! Clearly this hotel caters to weddings and community events, but they treated us like we were equally important.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This family has been running the hotel for over 50 years and they take great pride in their business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Despite the “stuffed” nature of this boar, he clearly has his eye on us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a face and don’t you love his wispy, messy muzzle?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Diego is showing Mary Ellen a good route along the coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
This dog belongs to Diego’s friend and clearly likes the cool tiles to stretch out on
Heart 1 Comment 0
Diego’s friend is on the left and the man in white is a neighbour who joined in on the photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The upside of having brake problems was meeting Diego.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The neighbour wanted us to see the entrance to his house. He was proud of the work that he did himself
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hills of this region are where we will soon be riding, but much higher.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stopped for lunch in this village and noticed the typical bell tower for this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What to do on a hot day eating lunch on a bench? Watch the ants of course! We dropped a large crumb and watched the work begin. One ant was the foreman and the rest cooperated to carry this treasure to their home. The real fun was watching a mass of ants push it in to the crack in the sidewalk where their colony lives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The landscape is becoming more rugged the farther south we ride -very interesting for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yellow ribbons are everywhere, including banners, posters, etc. They relate to the Catalonian struggle for independence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Llanca, we have ridden on a different route inland (with Diego’s advice) and we are now approaching the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are now back on the sea at Roses, a popular beach resort and nature reserve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Any available space becomes a pitch for boules (pétanque).
Heart 0 Comment 0
A school group out for a field trip to the sea. Check out the different reactions the kids have when they saw our bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have been following trails that meander around the nature reserve and parks, but the surface for riding is not so great for our loaded bike. Often there is too much sand and the bumps are not working for Mary Ellen’s sore bottom. Following our map we found secondary roads with pavement.  Much better.

Met this British couple out for a ride with their dog. At this point, the bike route followed the beach on sand and we gave up on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When travelling in the region of Catalonia, there is no mistaking the passion that locals feel about their identity. A tip if you are travelling here and need to translate. The language spoken is Catalonian, not Spanish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sky is amazing. We have been riding under dark skies, and at this moment, the line dividing brighter skies and storm is quite dramatic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The clouds look threatening, but are quite beautiful. The humidity is sapping our energy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Catalonians are passionate about their independence and very unhappy that the Spanish government overruled the referendum last year which had an overwhelming majority in favour of independence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like these pop out areas on homes here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No translation or description needed. To travel in the Catalonian region is an insight into the complications of politics in Spain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dolores, a local teacher, is also an elected member of the Catalonian party. She and her colleagues were imprisoned for their separatist stance. We have seen many banners like this supporting their liberation and dropping their charges. We are lucky to be here for a festival and that Dolores is here. Much excitement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our favourite thing in Europe is a delectable bakery, “Pastisseria” in Spain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A town square which will soon be filled with festival goers this evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This amazing dog was sitting inside a clothing store.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The narrow, charming cobbled streets of Torroella de Montgri.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this door knocker.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner in Spain is typically very late in the evening. We were lucky to find this area set up for the festival and ate early....before the crowds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yum! Sausages with pesto.
Heart 0 Comment 0
....with a cold Spanish beer. It helps to break the humidity, just for a moment.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,061 km (1,280 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0