An epic ride soaring above the coast of the Costa Brava - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2018

An epic ride soaring above the coast of the Costa Brava

Torroella de Montgri to Tossa de Mar

Torroella de Montgri has been a wonderful place to stay. This beautiful medieval town with its amazing architecture and narrow cobbled lanes is full of charm and we were welcomed here with open arms. It was just lucky for us that a festival was going on and that we were able to find such lovely accommodation in the middle of it all.

We enjoyed this charming room in a very old building. So quiet with thick stone walls and great people watching out the window to the narrow lane below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The passionate support for Catalan independence and the support for the elected members of the Catalan government who have been imprisoned for sedition are evident throughout the region. Torroella de Montgri is particularly passionate about DolorsBassa as she is a resident here. One of the young women at our hotel was very emotional telling us that Doloros had been her elementary teacher and is beloved here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most windows and balconys have the Catalan flag flying proudly -never a Spanish flag. Most people wear yellow ribbons and yellow pieces of cloth are strung from trees, fences....it is a complicated issue that we have begun to understand from their perspective.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel in Torella de Madgri was a wonderful find as we walked the narrow lanes through the Magic Festival in search of it. The search was worthwhile. Thanks to Booking.com for reviews which steered us in the right direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a three day magic festival taking place when we were there and the streets were alive with families and residents attending shows, gathering to socialize. It was very festive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This puppy had a job to do. He kept an eye on people walking by in his owner’s shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beach at Palamos was not very busy as the weather is not as good today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Martha at this bike shop in St. Feliu de Guixols was very helpful. Barry found replacement BB7 pads, just in case. After we left her, the climbs began on GI682 and continued for another 20 km. We have never ridden such challenging terrain, up and up, atop the cliffs with many serpentine curves to make the grade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Feliu Monastery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yes, we are climbing and the views are breathtaking.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Essentially we are traversing an area of gorges and we are winding our way around them. Sometimes it is daunting to look over, but this one is not so bad as there is just one road that we can see. However, to get there we will be careening down the gorge and back up again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The climbing we are doing today is brutal. The road has been carved into the hills and cliffs and often there are 3 or 4 layers of roads switchbacking their way up and down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views from above are quite stunning along the Costa Brava Coast.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Elodie StaufferReminds me of the Cinque de Terre in Italy.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Areas like this are for the rich and famous -exclusive resorts and homes. Our route stays up above winding through the cliffs. It is an epic ride and we really appreciate the patience and consideration of the drivers. Many people slow down to encourage us, clap or give us a thumbs up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We won’t be going down to this beach -but what a view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were surprised to come upon a series of small tunnels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cacti are beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cacti blooms have such vibrant colours.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingLooks like what we call prickly pear. You can eat the bulbous bit beneath the flower.

One variety became a noxious weed in parts of Australia

Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
We could see this village from a distance and we have made it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Falling rocks are a concern on this route. The other hazard are the motorcycles that go way too fast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are an oddity here with our fully loaded tandem and trailer. Many roadies ride their racing bikes here -yet unlike at home, they are very friendly to us and give us a thumbs up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We appreciate this reminder to drivers to give us space. We are happy though with Spanish drivers as they are very considerate and patient.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wonderful sight is our destination for tonight, Tossa de Mar. it has been a hot, humid and exhausting ride, but we don’t regret a second or metre of climbing. It has been a classic and memorable ride. We always talk about how we would probably never ride something like this at home!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,126 km (1,320 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0