Rest day in Soave - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2018

Rest day in Soave

Mary Ellen gets a bad cold and Barry goes exploring

Well, you could have knocked us down with a feather when we checked in to Hotel Roxy Plaza. This is truly a 4star Hotel, elegantly appointed with excellent service and a room that is vast and beautifully furnished. We keep thinking that they have gotten something wrong as the rate is quite low and it includes breakfast. Unfortunately Mary Ellen suddenly became quite sick with a cold and fell in to bed for a day while Barry explored the hills and Soave Castle on hos own on Seavo. Barry had a great day as his photos will show, and Mary Ellen slept it away.

Soave is a quiet, attractive small town that has given us a respite from the heat and a place for mary Ellen to try to become travel worthy again.

We will stay here a second night and hope we can move on tomorrow’s.

We enjoyed an excellent breakfast buffet with fresh fruit, hot selections and many choices of meat, cheese and pastrie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel is just outside of the fortified wall of Soave with a view of the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A charming entrance to the old town of Soave with wine bottles representative of the region and a winepress etc in the city gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A whimsical statue in Soave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stoppped for,a gelato and admired their beautiful espresso machine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On this hot day, Barry is climbing up to visit the castle above Soave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And, oh yes, it is Italy and most museums and monuments are closed on Monday’s!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see so many lizards racing around in the heat, but this one is taking a mellow break in the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This chubby guy has very long fingers and toes to grip the wall as he races around.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seavo and Buster enjoying the view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Soave Castle looks like it would be worth a visit -but never on a Monday!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry enjoyed seeing the Soave valley with grapes growing in all directions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry had a steep climb to get to the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Soave grapes look luscious -later, at the hotel we will be trying a bottle of local white wine that we bought.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first shrine on the way up the steep climb
Heart 0 Comment 0
As Barry was riding down from the castle he noticed a mountain biker turning into a small road. Along the road were ten shrines showing the crucification of Christ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road climbed steeply up through vineyards. At the top was an explanation of the shrines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an amazing view. It was definitely worth the hard climb
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way down Barry turned right at the corner and followed a mountain bike track along the other side of the mountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Irrigation pipes were running all through the vineyards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, this looks interesting!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a pretty rough mountain bike trail but Seavo took to the challenge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sampling a delicious white wine created from the grapes found where Barry was exploring this afternoon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 2,720 km (1,689 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0